Monday 10 August 2020

Quinn's Code - Geekery at the Mega Mall - Part 2

 After school Quinn walked up to one of her fellow Computer Club members. “Um, Xavier? I'm wondering if you could drive me to the Mall of the Millennium on Friday?”

 

Xavier Daldon thought for a moment. “Isn't that in southern Delaware?” he asked.

 

So?” Quinn asked. 'What's wrong with Delaware? At least it's not Texas...'

 

I will have to think about it,” he said.

 

You don't have to answer right away,” Quinn said.

 “I will give you my answer by Thursday night.”

 

Cool,” Quinn said.

 

 

Jennifer drove Daria and Jane towards Jane's house.

There's no way we can get out of this field trip, is there?” Jennifer asked.

 

No,” Jane said.

 

Daria sighed. “I'm sure it won't work, but I will ask Mrs. Bennett tomorrow to call off the field trip,” Daria said.

 

I'm not sure that will work,” Jane said.

 

I'm going to ask anyway. I can be quite stubborn,” Daria said.

 

We've both seen that,” Jennifer murmured as she turned into the Lane's driveway.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 27, 2005

Quinn entered the Programming Club meeting, followed by Wolfgang Shuhardt “I could drive you to the Mall of the Millennium, Quinn,” he said.

 

How did you know about that?” Quinn asked with surprise.

 

I was talking to Xavier in Computer Studies; he mentioned that you had asked if he would drive you there,” Wolfgang said.

 

Oh?” Quinn asked. 'He should really have not told Wolfgang,' she thought.

 

He said that he wasn't sure that he would go.”

 

If you can take me that would be great!” Quinn said.

 

I'll see if I can borrow my mother's car.”

 

You can get back to me by tomorrow night,” Quinn said. 'Cool,' she thought, hoping that Wolfgang's mother's car was something relatively new (or a classic like Jennifer's).

 

I hope I will be able to.”

 

 

After school, Daria knocked on the faculty office door. The head history teacher, Mr. Anthony DeMartino, opened the door. “Ms. Morgendorffer, to what do I owe the pleasure?” he said.

 

Is Mrs. Bennett here?”

 

She is, I'll send her out.”

 

 Mrs. Bennett soon came out.

What is it, Daria?” she asked.

 

Why are we going on a field trip to the Mall of the Millennium?” Daria asked.

 

I stated the reasons in class,” Mrs. Bennett said.

 

Yes, but there are malls much closer,” Daria said.

 

Malls that you are familiar with, Daria. Take a chance, make a small mistake, but minimise the mess, we're going on the field trip.

 

Daria tried to argue.

Is it the place of the school to preach the consumerism aspect of our culture?”

 

I don't know what you mean, Daria,” Mrs. Bennett said.

 

I mean what I said, Mrs. Bennett!” Daria said.

 

 

And so Mrs. Bennett wouldn't change her mind. The only way I can think of to make a real protest would be to blog about it,” Daria said as she and her two friends ate pizza at the Pizza King.

 

Absolutely,” Jane said.

 

But there would be no way for it to get on Slashdot. Although maybe Technorati,” Jennifer said quietly.

 

Somehow, I don't think it's meme-worthy enough,” Daria said.

 

So, we're going to the Mall of the Millennium. No big deal,” Jane said.

 

It just won't be enjoyable,” Daria said.

 

I agree with that,” Jennifer said as she took a bite of pizza.

 

 

As Stacy went to bed she wondered what the trip to the Mall of the Millennium on Friday would be like. 'I hope Sandi will allow me to shop where I want!' she thought as she went to sleep.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 28, 2005

Quinn entered Mr Fun's Games, Cafe and Internet 15 minutes after leaving school. “Quinn?” Koichi 'Rob' Robazaki asked.

 

Yeah?” Quinn asked.

 

I can take you to the Mall of the Millennium, Quinn,” Rob said.

 

How did you know about that?” Quinn asked, surprised. 'Does everyone know that I'm going to the Mall of the Millennium?'

 

Jenna told me,” Rob said.

 

I should have guessed,” Quinn said, knowing that Jenna and Rob were close. (How close, she wasn't sure.)

 

Yeah,” Rob said.

 

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple other people,” Quinn said.

 

Ok, who?” Rob asked.

 

You don't need to know,” Quinn said.

 

I don't?” Rob asked with a frown.

 

I will hear back from them tonight. I'll give you a call if I don't,” Quinn said.

 

That's cool,” Rob said as Quinn went towards one of the arcade machines.

 

 

Later that night, Quinn waited for Wolfgang and/or Xavier to call whilst doing her homework.

The clock on her Windows PC changed to 10:00.

She stood up. “Ugh! I will have to call Rob, after all,” she said as she grabbed her cell phone.

 

Hi, is this Quinn?

 

Yeah, Koichi?”

 

Yeah, Quinn?

 

You can take me to the Mall of the Millennium tomorrow.”

 

That would be very good, Quinn.

 

I would like to leave Lawndale by 8:30, so there will be plenty of time for shopping when we get there.”

 

That is ok. I usually leave home by 8:00, so I will be at your place by 8:15 at the latest,” Rob said.

 

Cool,” Quinn said.

 

I will see you in the morning,” Rob said.

 

See you then, bye,” Quinn said, and hung up. She then continued her homework.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment