Thursday 19 September 2024

Convergence on Lawndale - Part 11

 

Kaelyn started preparing the snacks. She did so quickly and efficiently, but she made each one slightly different.

 

 

“So, you aren’t going to eat?” Ron asked between bites.

 

“No, I don’t need to eat,” Kaelyn answered. “Just charging and maintenance. I may look human, but I’m anything but on the inside.”

 

“Of course!” the Doctor said.

 

“I have plenty of charge, and I rarely leave the house,” Kaelyn added.

 

“So, what are you allowed to tell us about your family?” Kim asked.

 

“It depends on what is asked,” Kaelyn answered.

 

“And you deflected the question,” Kim said.

 

“I didn’t. I don’t know what questions you’re going to ask. All I know is that I won’t answer any that are too personal,” Kaelyn said.

 

“That’s fair, I guess,” Kim said.

 

“So, you’re a robot, right?” Ron asked.

 

“I believe that we established that,” Kaelyn answered in a snide tone.

 

“I mean. Are you known to the government as a human or what?” Ron asked.

 

“Ah,” Kaelyn said, quietly. “Apparently, I was named after a daughter they lost. But they haven’t said much about her.”

 

“I see,” Kim said. It didn’t surprise her that much.

 

“Far from the first time I encountered such,” the Doctor commented.

 

“Both of them are engineers who work for Landon Engineering.”

 

“Haven’t heard of it,” Ron said.

 

“It’s rather local,” Kaelyn clarified.

 

“I’ve heard of it,” the Doctor said.

 

“They make a variety of products, including various types of robots.”

 

“So, could Andrew Landon be involved in something nefarious?” the Doctor asked.

 

“I wouldn’t know,” Kealyn answered.

 

“But we could find out,” Kim said.

 

“But would it be something to do with the portal?” Ron asked.

 

“It’s almost certainly related,” the Doctor said. “I could get UNIT to check. But first we need to head to the High School.”

 

“Why?” Kim asked.

 

“There are a couple of sisters who were investigating the portal with me earlier,” the Doctor answered.

 

“In that case, we’ll do that,” Kim said.

 

 

Kaelyn called her parents. Once she had filled them in on what was happening, they gave her permission to go with the Doctor and Team Possible.

 

“Where to first?” she asked.

 

“As I said, the High School,” the Doctor said.

 

“Of course,” she murmured.

 

“Let’s go,” Kim said.

 

 

The Doctor lead the way, although Kaelyn knew the way through Lawndale much better than he did. It didn’t take them that long to get to the High School.

 

 

The third period finished and Lunch started. Quinn and Daria met near the library. Quinn told her sister about what happened with Stacy and the flicker. Daria wasn’t sure what to make of that. “Do you know where Peter is?”

 

“In the Faculty Office,” Quinn answered.

 

“Right.”

 

“But there’s something else.”

 

“What?” Daria asked.

 

“Something to do with Stacy.”

 

“Besides what you said about her and the flicker?”

 

“Yes,” Quinn answered.

 

“OK, what is it?”

 

“I can’t put my finger on it. It’s like she was still as panicked as usual, but also a bit spaced out.”

 

“That doesn’t tell me much,” Daria responded.

 

 

The Doctor, Team Possible and Kaelyn arrived at the school. “Of course it looks different,” Ron commented.

 

“Every school is different, Ron,” Kim said.

 

“I thought it would be more similar, as Lawndale seems similar to Middleton,” Ron said.

 

“Is it?” Kaelyn asked.

 

“A little,” Kim said. “But this is our first time here.”

 

“Of course,” Kaelyn said.

 

“First we need to find Daria and Quinn,” the Doctor said.

 

“Then they might be in the cafeteria,” Kim said.

 

 

Quinn saw the Doctor come over, followed by a few others. “Daria. He’s here.”

 

“I see.”

 

“What have you found?” the Doctor asked.

 

“But first, who are they?” Daria asked.

 

“Kim.”

 

“Ron!”

 

“Kaelyn.”

 

“I’m Daria and that’s Quinn.”

 

“Hi! I’ve been travelling with the Doctor for a while,” Quinn said.

 

“Right,” Kim said.

 

“But what have you found?” the Doctor repeated.

 

“Not much,” Daria said.

 

“Something to do with my friend,” Quinn answered.

 

“Which friend?” the Doctor asked.

 

“Stacy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment