Tuesday 5 June 2018

Doctor Who - Changes in Time and Space Chapter 27 - 42 Part 3


Doctor, we're stuck in an escape pod off the area seventeen airlock,” Felicia said. “We need help!
Why is this happening?” McDonnell asked.

Stay here!” The Doctor said. “I mean it this time! Jump start those engines!” He left.


Felicia and Riley are stuck in an escape pod,” the Doctor said. “Be ready to help,” the Doctor said.

Understood,” Martha said.


Jettison held,” the computer said, after Riley put in a sequence.

Thank you,” Riley said.

Jettison reactivated,” the computer said.

That didn't help!” Felicia said with frustration.

There are more where that came from,” Riley said, trying to put confidence into his voice. He and Ashton fought it out via the keypads.


The Doctor arrived in Area 17. “That's enough! What do you want? Why this ship? Tell me.”

Ashton responded by smashing the keypad...


Jettison activated,” the computer announced.

He's smashed the circuit,” Riley said with panic in his voice. “I can't stop it. I can't stop it!”

The Doctor must have saved this situation somehow,” Felicia said. That thought didn't exactly fill her with confidence. 'As far as I know, Martha was in this position, and he lost her...'


The Doctor turned to Ashton. “Come on. Let's see you. I want to know what you really are.”

Ashton turned towards the Doctor but then collapsed in pain (at the same time as Korwin being frozen in via ice vent in Engineering).

Airlock sealed,” the computer announced.

Ashton got up and started walking back towards Engineering.

The Doctor hit the intercom. “McDonnell? Ashton's heading in your direction. He's been infected, just like Korwin!”

Korwin's dead, Doctor,” Scannell reported.


Airlock decompression completed,” the computer reported. “Jettisoning pod.”

Great!” Felicia said slightly morosely.


The Doctor went to the airlock.

I'll save you!”

He saw Felicia nod.

I promise!” He switched on the intercom. “Scannell! I need a spacesuit in Area 17!”

What for?


The wonderful world of space travel. The prettier it is, the more likely it is to kill you,” Riley said.

The Doctor will do something to save us,” Felicia said, trying to cheer Riley up. 'I hope so!'

No, it's too late. Our heat shields will pack in any minute and then we go into free fall. We'll fall into the sun before he has a chance to do anything.”

You don't know the Doctor. I've seen him...” Felicia paused considering. 'or her,' she thought. “...save people against considerable odds before.”

Considerable odds, he'd have to really damn lucky to save us form this pickle. Beating the odds is not something I'd believe in.”

'That's some kind of opening,' Felicia thought. “I've seen it. But anyway, what do you believe in.”

Nothing, not anymore.”

'That's sad,' Felicia thought. “Not family?”

My dad's dead, and I haven't seen my mum in six years,” Riley said. “She didn't want me signing up for cargo tours. Things were said, and since then, all silent. She wanted to hold onto me, I know that. Oh, she's so stubborn.”

Sounds so familiar,” Felicia said. She hadn't really thought about her family situation after she had started going backwards along the Doctor's timeline.

What about you?”

Oh, there was a divorce when I was young, and both parents tried to use me against the other...” Felicia began.


The Doctor had suited up. “I can't let you do this,” Scannell declared.

You're wasting your breath, Scannell. You're not going to stop me,” the Doctor objected.

You want to open an airlock in flight on a ship spinning into the sun. No one can survive that.”

Oh, just you watch.”

You open that airlock, it's suicide. This close to the sun, the shields will barely protect you.”

If I can boost the magnetic lock on the ship's exterior, it should remagnitise the pod. Now, while I'm out there, you've got to get the rest of those doors open. We need those auxiliary engines,” the Doctor explained.

Doctor, will you listen! They're too far away. It's too late,” Scannell said.

I'm not going to loose her!” the Doctor said as he put on a helmet.

Decompression initiated. Impact in twelve fifty five.”


Felicia finished telling Riley about her family issues. It seemed, cathartic. He hugged her. Then there was a jolt! The screen said Remagnetising. “We're being pulled back!”

It has to be the Doctor,” Felicia said.

Considerable odds, you said.”

Yes.”


They redocked and re-entered the ship. “Doctor!” Felicia cried.

He was on the floor of the docking port in a foetal position. His eyes were closed. “Stay away from me!”

McDonnell had come up. “What's happened?”

It's your fault, Captain McDonnell!”

Riley, get down to area ten and help Scannell with the doors. Go!”

You mined that sun,” the Doctor said. “Stripped it's surface for cheap fuel. You should have scanned for life!”

I don't understand.”

What?” Felicia asked. “Doctor. What is it?”

That sun is alive. A living organism. They scooped out its heart, used it for fuel, and now it's screaming!”

What do you mean? How can a sun be alive?” McDonnell asked. “Why is he saying that?”

Because it's living in me,” the Doctor answered.

McDonnell blasphemed.

Humans! You grab whatever's nearest and bleed it dry! You should have scanned!”

It takes too long. We'd be caught. Fusion Scoops are illegal,” McDonnell objected.

Get Martha to the Sickbay. You've got to freeze me, quickly. Tell her to take it below two hundred. Freeze it out of me. It will use me to kill you if you don't. The closer we get to the sun, the stronger it gets!”

Impact in seven thirty.”




No comments:

Post a Comment