Tuesday 26 January 2021

First Day of Summer - Quinn's Day - Part 1

 After awaking and getting ready, Quinn went down to breakfast.

 

She met Daria as she went down the stairs. “Hi, Daria,” she said.

 

“Hi, Quinn.”

 

 

She saw her mother in the kitchen. It being the weekend she didn’t go to work at the usual early hours. “Morning, Mom.”

 

“Morning, Quinn. Do you have any plans for the summer?”

 

‘Of course.’ “Some plans,” Quinn said.

 

“Meaning lots of shopping.”

 

‘Of course, what else would I be planning?’ Quinn thought. She hoped that this wasn’t leading where she thought it was going to lead.

 

Her Mom continued staring.

 

Quinn gave in. “Yes, I’ll be doing a lot of shopping,” she said.

 

“But you need money for shopping. You should not have quit that job at Governor’s Park,” her Mom said.

 

‘But I did pay back the credit card bill for those shoes,’ Quinn thought. She was sure that her Mom was going to ask her to find another job to pay for her summer shopping.

 

“You need to get another job. I’m giving you today to find something that you like, or I’ll find something for you,” Helen said.

 

‘Please, not something like Daria had last summer!’ Quinn thought. Something else was up though. “Mo-om! I can’t get a job in a day!”

 

“All I’m asking is, that you get the application forms today; what do you say?”

 

‘That makes sense,’ Quinn thought. “Oh, I can do that.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Straight after breakfast.”

 

“Of course.”

 

 

Half an hour later, Quinn arrived at Sandi Griffin’s house, where her friends were meeting to plan their summer.

She walked up to the front door and knocked. “It was quickly opened by one of Sandi’s brothers. “Hi, Sam,” Quinn said.

 

“Hi, Quinn,” Sam Griffin said. “Tiffany and Stacy are already up in Sandi’s room. It doesn’t seem like the events of the last couple of months have really happened.”

 

Quinn was confused by the last statement. “What do you mean?” she asked. ‘Something’s up.’

 

“None of her friends came around here whilst she was having that rather long bout of Laryngitis,” Sam said looking at Quinn in the eyes.

 

Quinn knew what he was getting at. “I was here a lot after she broke her leg and gained weight.” She looked him in the eyes. “That is something which wouldn’t have happened if two younger brothers hadn’t been fighting over a toy.”

 

Sam looked down. “You don’t need to rub that in! I was irresponsible. I have been trying to be more responsible,” he said. “Which is more than I could say for Chris,” he continued under his breath.

 

Quinn was taken aback. It seemed that Sam was maturing. “That’s good,” she finally said.

 

“Anyway, I was saying that you weren’t here whilst she had laryngitis,” Sam said, getting back to his original point.

 

“I had a job. I didn’t have time to come around.”

 

“That’s not a good excuse!”

 

Quinn gave in and explained to Sam about the credit card bill and her resultant job at Governor’s Park. She also mentioned that she had made a friend there, but she didn’t identify Lindy by name.

 

“I guess so,” Sam said unconvinced.

 

“Are you going to let me in or not?” Quinn asked.

 

“Sure,” Sam said, stepping aside.

 

 

Something else nagged at Quinn. She turned back to Sam. “You mean that neither Stacy nor Tiffany were here either?”

 

“Not very often. Mom said that the Fashion Club meetings were held at Stacy’s house,” Sam said.

 

‘Interesting,’ Quinn thought. “I see,” she said. She went towards the stairs. She passed Chris as he went down.

 

“Hi, Quinn,” he said.

 

“Hi, Chris,” Quinn said. She reached the top of the stairs and went into Sandi’s room.

 

 

“Hi, Quinn,” Sandi said.

 

Quinn noticed that Sandi sounded slightly hostile. “Hi, Sandi.”

 

“Hi, Quinn,” Stacy Rowe said.

 

“Hiiii,” Tiffany Blum-Deckler drawled.

 

“Right, now that the pleasantries are like, out of the way, let’s plan our Summer activities,” Sandi said.

 

Quinn decided that that time was as good as any. “Um, Sandi, about that, I have to say that I will have to get a job afterall,” she said.

 

“Gee, Quinn. Didn’t you quit that other job so that you wouldn’t have a job over the summer?” Sandi asked.

 

“Yes, Sandi, I did, but...” Quinn began.

 

But Sandi interrupted. “...And didn’t pay you pay back that huge credit card bill which lead to you getting the job?”

 

“Yes, Sandi, but my Mom says that I have to find a job, or she will find me a horrible activity.”

 

“I see,” Sandi said. “However, it is not suitable for those of our standing to like, have to work in the summer before our final year of High School.”

 

“That’s your opinion, Sandi,” Quinn said.

 

“It’s more than, like, my opinion! It is a Lawndale tradition that popular girls in the summer between their Junior and Senior years don’t have jobs,” Sandi said.

 

“Those girls didn’t have Helen Morgendorffer as a mother!”

 

“I suppose, but that is like, a weak excuse,” Sandi said.

 

“Guys! Stop arguing!” Stacy said.

 

“Yee-aah, it’sooo wrong!” Tiffany said.

 

“Right!” Sandi said after a moment.

 

“It’s not what friends do,” Stacy said, barely audible.

 

“So, what are we doing today?” Quinn asked, by way of changing the topic.

 

However, it appeared that Sandi wouldn’t have a bar of it. “Kuh-winn! I believe it’s my place to choose the topic.”

 

‘Oh, no you don’t!’ Quinn thought.

 

“Uh, Sandi, remember that the Fashion Club is no more!” Stacy said.

 

‘Good on you, Stacy!’ Quinn thought.

 

“Of course I remember that, Stacy!” Sandi said.

 

“However, your actions say otherwise, Sandi. You’re no longer the boss of us,” Quinn said. Sandi was speechless for about a minute. It appeared that she was thinking. ‘I hope she is,’ Quinn thought.

 

 

“Sorry, I forgot that the Club was, like, gone for a moment there,” Sandi finally said.

 

“Apology accepted,” Stacy said.

 

“So, what are weee doing to-daaay?”

 

“Isn’t that obvious?” Stacy asked. “We’re going shopping, and helping Quinn look for a job.”

 

Sandi snorted.

 

“I’m looking for a job, regardless of what you think, Sandi. Stacy and Tiffany may as well help!”

 

“I know, you have made up your minds. But I’m just going shopping for the latest summer fashions,” Sandi said.

 

“If that is what you wish,” Quinn said with a sigh. She had hoped that Sandi would change her mind.

 

“It is,” Sandi said.

 

Quinn sighed inwardly, she was sure that it was going to be a long day.

 

 

Fifteen minutes later, the four teens left the Griffin Residence to head towards the mall known as Cranberry Commons.

 

 

The four friends arrived at Cranberry Commons fifteen minutes later.

 

“Where are we going first, Quinn?” Stacy asked as they entered the Mall.

 

Quinn thought for a moment. “Let’s see... there are many clothing stores here. I’ll apply at all of them.” She knew that there was a good chance that she would get at least one job that she would like that way.

 

“Gee, Quinn. You mean you would like, work at a place like JJ Jeeters?” Sandi asked.

 

Quinn turned around and faced Sandi. “Beggers cannot be choosers, Sandi. Most of these stores aren’t that bad, otherwise people wouldn’t buy from them.”

 

Sandi then appeared to think about what Quinn had said.

 

‘At least she’s thinking about it,’ Quinn thought.

 

“It will take a while,” Stacy said.

 

“Then we best start now,” Quinn said.

 

“Sure,” Stacy said.

 

 

Three stores later, in a store named Kelly’s Boutique, Quinn recognised one of their fellow shoppers. “Lindy?” she asked.

 

“Quinn, this is a surprise,” Lindy Weaver, her friend whom she met whilst she was working at Governor’s Park, said.

 

“I’m looking for a summer job,” Quinn said.

 

“Oh, but I thought that you quit Governor’s Park so you didn’t have to work over the summer?”

 

“That was before Mom gave me an ultimatum.”

 

“Oh, but who are these with you.”

 

“They’re my friends Sandi, Stacy and Tiffany,” Quinn said, pointing out each of them in turn...

 

“Hi, Quinn has told me a lot about you,” Lindy said.

 

“Hi!” Stacy said.

 

“Hiii.”

 

“Hi, what has she told you?” Sandi asked with an edge to her voice.

 

“Only the good stuff,” Lindy said. “She has said that you stick with each other through troubled times,” she said to Sandi.

 

“Um, yeah,” Sandi said thoughtfully.

 

“Yeah, she told us about you too, similarly,” Stacy said.

 

Lindy looked at Quinn. “Cool, so what sort of job are you looking for? I may be able to help,” she said.

 

“A position in a place like this, or like Governor’s Park,” Quinn said.

 

“Have you thought about just going back to Governor’s Park?” Lindy asked.

 

‘I’m not sure if that’s possible,’ Quinn thought. “I would if you could,” she said quietly.

 

“Oh, but no need to sacrifice yourself on my account, you know that I have another job,” Lindy said.

 

“Oh,” Quinn said. “Maybe I’ll come by there later,” she offered.

 

“Well, I’ll be there after lunch,” Lindy said.

 

“Cool,” Quinn said. She talked to Lindy for short while longer before they agreed to meet later at Lindy’s workplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment