Friday 6 May 2022

A Variant Lawndale - Beach Party Invitation - Part 2

 Part 2

After bribing the guard with Jane’s life drawings, they entered Crewe Neck. “Interesting instrumentals,” Daria commented as they approached the Taylor’s mansion. She could see that the wave pool was very large, but it wasn’t the only thing protruding from behind the building. “A small rollercoaster too?”

 

“Definitely new money,” Jane commented.

 

 

Brittany met Jodie Landon and Mack Mackenzie as they came to the beach area. “What do you think of my backyard beach?” she asked.

 

“Um, it’s quite extravagant,” Jodie answered.

 

“I guess so,” Brittany said as she twirled her hair.

 

“I suppose the sand is great,” Mack said.

 

“I suppose people could build sand castles,” Jodie commented.

 

“I’m going to swim and surf,” Brittany said.

 

“So are we,” Jodie said. “I was saying others could do that too.”

 

“Sure,” Brittany said

 

 

Quinn was already there. She had met the three boys who had crushes on her. “So, I said, that ‘just because people are cliquey and snotty is no reason not to like them.”

 

“I agree,” Jeffy Brown-Mercer said.

 

“Exactly,” Jamie White said.

 

“Would you like to get me some drinks?” Quinn asked.

 

“Sure!” Jeffy said.

 

“I will!” Joey Green said.

 

“Of course!” Jamie said.

 

All three boys cleared off. Quinn then took out a pager, and found that there weren’t any messages. ‘Good!’ she thought. But she knew one would appear at some point in the afternoon.

 

 

“Angie! Donna!” Brittany called as she ran up to her friends who were also on the squad.

 

“So, the Beach is ready?” Donna Bolton asked.

 

“Yes,” Brittany answered.

 

“Cool,” Angie Zammit said. “Then we can go swimming!”

 

“I’ve organised a surfing contest too,” Brittany said.

 

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” Donna asked.

 

“Of course, it is. The wave machines are quite robust,” Brittany said.

 

“I mean… Kevin, on a surfboard…” Donna hinted.

 

Brittany twirled a pigtail. “Don’t worry. I’ll distract him.”

 

“I hope so,” Angie said.

 

 

Jane looked at the flyer she had been handed by another of the cheerleaders. “A surfing competition?” she asked.

 

“Not only are they competing socially, but physically too,” Daria commented.

 

“That’s certainly true,” Jane said. “But it’s unusual. Lawndale’s a football town.”

 

“A bit difficult to play football on a beach,” Daria quipped.

 

“I guess so,” Jane considered. “But I suppose I could give it a try.”

 

“Why?” Daria asked.

 

“Not sure. I’ll probably wipe out, but I’ll give it try.”

 

Daria sighed. “Go ahead. We better find Brittany.”

 

“Sure,” Jane said. She turned the page over. “Oh look, a Limbo competition too.”

 

“Of course,” Daria groused.

 

 

Joey returned to where Quinn was watching people swimming. “Here, I got you a drink.”

 

“This ice isn’t crushed.”

 

“I’ll go crush some!” he said. He then whispered in Quinn’s ear. “You know, Jeffy still sleeps with a teddy bear,” before leaving.

 

Jeffy then came along with some pretzels.

 

“These aren’t twisty,” Quinn said.

 

“I’ll go twist some.” He then whispered. “You know, Jamie's really a sloppy kisser.”

 

Quinn gave him a strange look.

 

“I heard it from a girl!” He then left.

 

Jamie came there. “I found some crackers,” he said.

 

“I like square crackers.”

 

Jamie proceeded to bite a cracker into a square shape.  “You know Joey was with a..”

 

Quinn interrupted him. “Ugh! Gross!”

 

 

As Jamie made himself scarce, Quinn heard her beeper. ‘Of course!’ she thought after she had read the message.

 

 

Joey came back to where Quinn was. “Hey, where’s Quinn?”

 

 

Daria and Jane came up to where Brittany was. “Hi, Brittany,” Daria said.

 

“Daria, you’re here. I’m so glad. Now we’re even.”

 

“This is Jane,” Daria said.

 

“I know who she is,” Brittany interrupted.

 

“I know I wasn’t invited,” Jane said. “I’m Daria’s plus one. You know I’m good at art.”

 

“But I have Daria for that now,” Brittany said as she twirled her hair. “Wait, What do you know about geometry.”

 

“It’s the one aspect of Math that I’m good at,” Jane said. “Lots of circles, squares and triangles.”

 

“Wow!” Brittany said, sounding impressed. “You’re welcome to stay.”

 

“Cool,” Jane said.

 

 

Quinn found a ceramic tiger statue to the side of the Taylor Mansion. She looked around and saw that there wasn’t anyone nearby. ‘Here goes,’ she thought. She turned the tiger to the side and a hidden door opened on the side of the house. She quickly stepped through.


No comments:

Post a Comment