Friday, 9 October 2026

Spider Quinn 24 Something Unnatural Part 2

 

Jane was waiting for them at the table, with a sketchbook open. “I have sketched things out according to the descriptions,” she said as she turned to a stylized drawing of the stadium from above.

 

Daria looked closer. Jane’s style didn’t obscure the details. She noticed that Jane had put the ghost very close to where she and Sandi had seen the scorch marks before sunrise. “So, you managed to pinpoint the location from the descriptions?”

 

“Yes. I had to re-read it a few times, but I did.”

 

“So, he like, somehow got onto the field without being seen,” Sandi said.

 

“And therefore may need to investigate the stadium’s infrastructure,” Daria said. “But that would hardly be online or at the library.”

 

“The Council would have the data,” Jane said.

 

“But they would hardly be willing to give it out to a teenage investigator or reporter, even the one who exposed the fake interview,” Daria responded.

 

Jane shrugged. “Or maybe you could ask the fourth vigilante.”

 

Daria shrugged while resisting the temptation to glance at Sandi. “I’m sure she’s already looking into it.”

 

 

‘But how many actually are?’ Sandi wondered.

 

“Maybe,” Jane responded to Daria. “But Trent said that he will go with you and Quinn.”

 

“That’s good. I’m sure that he will notice something we won’t,” Daria said sincerely.

 

“I hope so. That he won’t use it as an excuse for writing songs for his band that will go nowhere,” Sandi said.

 

Jane glared at Sandi.

 

“I know he helped search for you when you were abducted, but I have heard Mystik Spiral. They’re, like, abysmal.”

 

“Let’s focus on the matter at hand,” Daria said, clearly not wanting her two friends to antagonise each other.

 

“Of course,” Sandi said as she focused on Jane’s diagram.

 

“So, how are you going about it?” Jane asked.

 

“We’ll watch the game, and then start investigating when the ghost appears again,” Daria said.

 

“That’s a crazy plan,” Jane said.

 

“We’ll try to get seats at different points around the stadium,” Daria responded.

 

“That would be useful,” Jane said. “And I’ll be photocopying this, so you all will have a copy.”

 

 

Quinn found Ed in the Library. “Hi, Ed,” she said.

 

“Hi, Quinn. You don’t usually talk to me.”

 

“True,” Quinn said as she flipped one of her pigtails. “Samara said that you might have been taping the interrupted baseball game last night.”

 

“She was right,” Ed said. “But there wasn’t all that much zoom when the ghost appeared. It might not tell you much for whatever article you’re writing for the Lowdown.”

 

“I’ll be the judge of that. So, do you have it here, at school?”

 

“Yes, It’s here, at school. I can give it to you after class.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

Brittany caught up with Andrea at the back of the Library.

 

“I have put together more information,” Andrea said.

 

“And that is?”

 

“That the ghost just appeared out of nowhere.”

 

“So, it may have appeared from beneath the stadium,” Brittany surmised.

 

Andrea nodded “It is said that it was built on top of the previous stadium.”

 

“It does seem a little high.”

 

 

Before going to the cafeteria, Quinn went up to the roof and looked out towards the baseball stadium to the northwest. She looked at a map of Lawndale she had brought up, although she had become quite familiar with Lawndale’s layout since becoming SpiderGirl. “High Hills Park, nearly due west. The Cemetery.” She paused as she remembered some of the many times she had been at her father’s grave, including when she had interrupted William talking to Daria after the discovery of his poems. “The baseball stadium.”

She could see the rim of the stadium in the distance to the northwest. “But what is responsible for the ghost? Is it linked to something else that has happened in Lawndale since I started being SpiderGirl?” She couldn’t think of any reason Oscorp would have for causing such a disruption. But she also remembered Quentin Beck’s illusions. ‘Or it could be something else.’ She then went down to go to the cafeteria.

 

 

“There’s Quinn,” Stacy said in a relieved tone.

 

“Sorry. I was looking at something,” Quinn responded as she sat down.

 

“On the roof?” Tori asked.

 

“Just looking at the stadium,” Quinn said.

 

“Like at the Historia?” Stacy asked.

 

“Yes,” Quinn answered carefully.

 

‘Don’t worry, Quinn, I won’t give away your and Daria’s secrets,’ she thought, not for the first time.

 

 

As school let out, Quinn met Ed and Samara in the room the AV Club often meet in.

 

“I have set up the tape to when the ghost appeared,” Ed said.

 

“Thanks,” Quinn responded as she took it from Ed.

 

“Are you watching it at home?” Samara asked.

 

Quinn shrugged. She was planning to watch it with Brittany, either at home, her house or the Historia. “Maybe.”

 

“You can bring it back tomorrow,” Ed added.

 

“Of course.”

 

 

Quinn and Brittany met across the street at a convenience store.

 

“So, you got the tape?” Brittany asked after making sure no one was listening in.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Where are we watching it?”

 

“I was thinking at home, but Daria may come in halfway through, with Sandi,” Quinn answered.

 

“That would be awkward. I would suggest my place, but Ashley-Amber would have got Brain from school by now.”

 

“The Historia. I have set up a TV and VCR in the apartment.”

 

“That’s convenient,” Brittany commented.

 

“I found them in the basement after the fake interview. I thought they would come in useful if something like it happened again.”

 

 

At the same time, Daria and Jane met in the parking lot. “So, where do you want Trent to meet you guys?” the latter asked.

 

“Out front of the stadium,” Daria answered. “Near the main entrance, about half an hour before the game starts.”

 

“I’ll tell him that, although you should keep an eye out for him in case he gets lost.”

 

“Does that happen often?”

 

“Not that often,” Jane admitted. “But sometimes.”

 

“I’ll be on the lookout.”

 

 

Also at the same time, Jamie met Joey and Jeffy as they left the school.

“So, you are going with Quinn and Daria to the game?” Joey asked.

 

 

“Yes. Both of them want to find out what is happening,” Jamie answered. “And so do I.”

 

“I do too,” Joey said. “But I’m not going.”

 

“Are you busy with the Historia?” Jeffy asked, referring to Joey being one of the business partners in the Historia alongside his cousin and the Morgendorffer sisters.

 

“Maybe,” Joey said. “But I’m not as interested in baseball as I am in football.”

 

“I guessed that,” Jeffy said.

 

 

It wasn’t long before Quinn and Brittany arrived at the Historia and went to the apartment she shared with Daria.

 

“Maybe we should get a coffee from the café first,” Brittany suggested.

 

“Sure. I’ll just call for delivery,” Quinn said as she picked up the phone.

 

Brittany smiled as Quinn called.

 

 

Elisabeth Rowe answered the internal call in the office. She knew it was one of the Morgendorffers. Joey and his cousin didn’t use the internal phones, at least they hadn’t yet over the past month and half. “Quinn?” she guessed.

 

“A couple of coffees please,”

 

“Sure. Getting ready for the game? Daria told me that you are investigating.”

 

“Yes. A friend and I are reviewing some footage.”

 

 

Quinn hung up and then put the tape in the VCR. “It should be at the right spot,” she said.

 

“Looks a little janky,” Brittany commented.

 

“I’m sure it was Ed filming it himself.”

 

 

A minute later, they saw the ghost appearing. “Rewinding,” Quinn said as she pressed the button. She then went forwards frame by frame.

 

 

“Wait!” Brittany said. “There’s something behind it.”

 

Quinn looked at where the ghost was mid throw and saw that there was a gap in the turf behind it. “A trap door?”

 

“Looks like it.”

 

“But we’d need a different angle.”

 

“But that is a good start,” Brittany pointed out.

 

 

Dani Moreno knocked on the door of the apartment. “Quinn? Your order is here.”

 

“Come in,” Quinn said.

 

Dani entered the apartment and saw that Brittany was there and there was a paused video of the previous night’s baseball ghost on the TV. “Here you go,” she said as she placed the coffees on the tables.

 

“Thanks,” Quinn said.

 

“You’re looking into what happened last night?” Dani asked.

 

“That’s right,” Brittany responded. “It’s, like, more than a bit weird.”

 

“And Daria too?” Dani asked.

 

“Of course,” Quinn answered. “We’re going to the game later, to see if the ghost would disrupt the game again.”

 

“I would go, but I have something due this week,” Dani said, referring to her own status as a student at Lawndale State.

 

“That’s alright.”

 

 

Brittany took a sip of the coffee after Dani left. “I’ll see if I can hang around.”

 

“I don’t want to take you off your usual early evening patrols,” Quinn said.

 

“True, but I have been changing it up since the agents appeared.”

 

“Or maybe you can make sure the agents don’t show up in the stadium while we’re trying to identify the ghost.”

 

“Most likely,” Brittany said.

 

“And if it proves difficult…”

 

“I can help.”

 

 

They continued examining the footage.

 

 

Quinn arrived back at the Morgendorffers shortly before sunset. “Just over an hour,” she murmured as she opened the door.

 

“But is that enough time for you to get ready?” Daria asked from where she was reading in the living room.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Because Jamie called and said that he’s meeting us here.”

 

“I’ll still be ready,” Quinn said as she headed up the stairs.

 

 

Jamie arrived at the Morgendorffers to find Quinn and Daria waiting.

 

“Am I late?” he asked.

 

“Only by a few minutes,” Daria said as she started the Lexus’ engine.

 

“Mom was worrying,” he said as an excuse.

 

“With four of us, the ghost won’t get away with anything too serious,” Quinn said.

 

“Oh, I can think of many ways,” Daria said.

 

“I can too, but we may be able to stop him before anything happens,” Quinn pointed out.

 

 

Arriving at the Stadium, they quickly found Trent, who had driven the Tank there. “Thing is,” he said as he locked the van, “that I haven’t been to a game here before.”

 

“That’s OK, Trent,” Daria said. “Neither have Quinn and I.”

 

“But I have looked around the outside at times,” Quinn said.

 

“What? On dates?” Daria asked.

 

Quinn shrugged. “One or two. Other times I was just passing by.”

 

‘Probably in the past several months, since Dad passed,’ Daria thought. She then turned back to Trent. “Ready?”

 

“I’m here, aren’t I?” Trent said. “Besides. Janie was adamant about it.”

 

“Then let’s see if the ghost will appear again.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment