Saturday 10 April 2021

Daria's Voyager - Ep 1. Part 2

 

Part 2

D 74656 – Bajor Sector

Tom Sloane emerged from the Ferengi establishment on Deep Space Nine’s Promenade. “Didn’t they warn you about Ferengi at the Academy?” he asked. The young Ensign, DeWit-Clinton was his name, had been rather out his depth…

 

“As a matter of fact, they did,” DeWit-Clinton said with a slight self-effacing laugh.

 

“Let’s get to Voyager,” Sloane said.

 

 

Ten minutes later they entered Voyager’s sickbay. “Run a level three diagnostic, just to be sure. Can I help you?”

 

“Tom Sloane, reporting on board.”

 

“Oh, yes. The observer,” the doctor said with condescension.

 

Tom picked up on it. “That’s me. As a matter of fact, I’m observing some kind of problem right now, Doctor,” he said placing scorn on the title.

 

“I was a surgeon at the hospital on Caldic Prime at the same time you were stationed there. We never actually met. Your medical records have arrived from your last posting, Mister Sloane. Everything seems to be in order. The Captain asked if you were on board. You should check in with her.”

 

“I haven’t reported to the Captain either,” De Wit-Clinton admitted.

 

“Well, Mr. DeWit-Clinton, that would be something a new Operations Officer should do.”

 

 

“What was that all about?” DeWit-Clinton asked as he and Sloane emerged from the Sickbay.

 

“It’s a long story, Ted. I’m tired of telling it. I’m sure someone around here will tell you before long.”

 

 

In her Ready Room, Captain Morgendorffer was talking to her fiancé over subspace.

The doctor called.”

 

“And?”

 

I was right.

 

Daria let herself feel some joy, “She’s pregnant?”

 

The kittens are due in seven weeks.”

 

“Oh, Marcello, you have to take her home with you!”

 

With me? I just got the rugs cleaned.”

 

“She's with child. I can't leave her in a kennel while I'm…”

 

Marcello interrupted. “Is this another 'love me, love my cat' demand?

 

“Yes.”

 

How could I ever refuse you.”

 

“Thanks, Sweetie.”

 

So, when are you leaving?

 

“As soon as these system status reports are approved.”

 

All right. Then I won't bother you anymore.

 

Daria looked at Marcello with a stern, yet playful, expression. “Hey. You don’t bother me. Except the way I love to be bothered. You understand?”

 

I’ll remember that.”

 

“See you a few weeks.” She remembered something. “Oh, Marcello, go by my house and pick up the cat bed, she’ll be more comfortable.”

 

I already did. An hour ago.

 

The transmission ended. The door chine rang. “Enter,” she said in an all-business monotone.

 

“Gentlemen, welcome aboard Voyager.”

 

“Thank you, sir,” DeWit-Clinton said.

 

“Mr. DeWit-Clinton. At ease before something’s strained. Ensign, despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as Sir.”

 

“I'm sorry, ma'am.”

 

“Ma’am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer Captain. We're getting ready to leave. Follow me to the Bridge.”

 

 

The three emerged from the ready room onto Voyager’s Bridge. “Did you have any problems getting here, Mr. Sloane?”

 

“None at all, Captain.”

 

“My First Officer, Lt. Commander Stevens. Ensign DeWit Clinton. Mr. Sloane.

 

“Welcome aboard Voyager!

 

Captain Morgendorffer showed DeWit-Clinton his station and then got Voyager underway.

 

 

 

Enroute to the Badlands

Sloane entered the forward lounge and went to a replicator. “Tomato soup,” he ordered.

 

There are fourteen varieties of tomato soup available from this replicator. With rice, with vegetables, Bolian style, with pasta, with...”

 

Sloane interrupted the computer. “Plain.”

 

Specify hot or chilled.

 

“Hot! Hot, plain, tomato soup.”

 

The meal appeared in the replicator. Tom took it and sat at a nearby table. Ted joined him. “Is it true?” he asked.

 

“Was the accident my fault? Yes. Pilot error. But it took me a while to admit it.”

 

“They said that you falsified reports.”

 

“That's right.”

 

“Why?” Ted asked.

 

“What's the difference? I lied!”

 

“But then you came forward and you admitted that it was your fault?”

 

“I'll tell you the truth, Ted. All I had to do was keep my mouth shut and I was home free. But I didn’t. I couldn't. The ghosts of those three dead officers came to me in the middle of the night and taught me the true meaning of Christmas. So, I confessed. Worst mistake I ever made but it wasn’t my last. After they cashiered me out of Starfleet, I went looking for a fight and found the Maquis. And on my first assignment, I was caught.”

 

“It must have been especially tough for you, being the son of an admiral.”

 

“Frankly, I think it was tougher on my father than it was on me, Look. I know those guys told you to stay away from me...” Tom was about to say more but was interrupted.

 

Morgendorffer to Sloane.”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

Report to the Bridge. We’re approaching the Badlands.”

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment