Tuesday 8 June 2021

Quinn's Code - Atlernapalooza Part 4

 

Quinn, Cindy, Kristen and Keith had left the diner behind. They saw the Tank on the side of the road. “Isn't that Daria?” Kristen asked.


With Trent Lane?” Keith asked, curiosity showing in his voice.


Well, she is friends with his younger sister,” Cindy pointed out.


Don't worry, she can look after herself,” Quinn said.


Jane and Jennifer may have gone for help,” Cindy said.


I guess so,” Quinn said.


I'll keep going then,” Keith decided after a few moments.



Daria listened to Trent play a G chord over and over. She glanced at his tattoo. “Um, nice tattoo. Tribal?”


Maori. I copied it out of Tattoo World's international issue,” Trent said.

Very graphic, and meaningful.”


Yeah, it makes a statement. You know what it is?”


'I got a tattoo out of a magazine?' Daria thought.


I got a tattoo out of a magazine,” Trent said, unknowingly echoing what she had thought. They both laughed.


I guess it's better than trying to copy one off the TV.”


Daria, do you ever feel like maybe you're wasting your life?”


Only when I'm awake.”


Like, no money, no job, you live with your parents, and you still can't play an open D tuning,” Trent said.


Well, I haven't had those exact thoughts...”


Maybe I will end up a townie doing Doors covers. I mean, who's to say, right?” Trent asked. He didn't know whether the Spiral would make it big, or not. Who could say?


Daria considered. “Umm, you know, Trent, it takes a lot of guts to go after a dream, especially when you know that failure can mean spending the rest of your life playing L.A. Woman... in public,” she said, her distaste for that song showing.


Trent thought for a moment. “Hmm, I guess.”


And even if it doesn't work out, at least for now you're doing exactly what you want to.”


Yeah, that's true.”


A lot of people never even get that far.”


I guess I'm not doing too bad. You know, Daria, sometimes it's hard to believe you're in high school.”


I find the situation unbelievable myself.”


You're pretty cool.”


Thanks,” Daria said with a slight smile. She then noticed that Jane, Jennifer and Jesse were approaching.


So?” Trent asked.


There was nothing behind that wall but a cornfield, and the corn wasn't very helpful.”


Helpful Corn! That's a cool name for the band,” Jesse suggested.


I don't thnk so,” Jennifer murmured.


Even better than Mystik Spiral, huh, Daria?”


'Maybe not,' Daria thought.



Keith, Kristen, Cindy and Quinn arrived at Alternapalooza. They could see that the concert had already started, and that the parking had spilled into a nearby field.


We've missed the start!” Cindy said.


I wasn't responsible for the traffic after Oakwood,” Keith explained.


I guess there wasn't any other way,” Quinn said.


I guess not,” Cindy said.

No comments:

Post a Comment