Tuesday 17 August 2021

Quinn's Code - Blue Screen of Sherman - Part 3

 

Blue Screen of Sherman Part 3

Daria was ready to go. However, after Brittany had gone, their Language Arts teacher came up to her. “Daria?”

 

“Hi, Mr. O'Neill,” she said as she put the notepad away.

 

“May I ask what you're jotting down? A reflection about poor Tommy Sherman, no doubt.”

 

“Not really.”

 

“It must have been a terrible shock for someone as sensitive. It really makes you think.”

 

“Um... yeah, but I'm dealing with it.”

 

Mr. O'Neill chuckled. “I figured you'll be dealing with it. You probably think about the dark side all the time.”

 

“The dark side? Are we talking about "the Force"?”

“The dark side of life. The thoughts other people try not to have. That's your thing, right? Facing the void? Yes, I'm sure you're dealing with it.” He paused. “I'm not dealing with it!” He started crying.

 

“There, There,” she said awkwardly.

 

 

Elsewhere, Quinn, Cindy and Kristen had left the school. All three were thinking about the tragic events of the day.

 

“It's really sad!” Quinn said.

 

Cindy nodded.

 

“I mean. I know he wasn't a nice guy...” Quinn continued.

 

“I mean, he was leering at you,” Kristen said, her voice tinged with as much sadness as her friend's.

 

“That was not pleasant! And I usually like guys looking at me. He was totally creepy! Still, it's not good that he died...” Quinn said.

 

“Not at all,” Cindy said.

 

“And the way he died... It must have been painful!” Kristen added.

 

The other two nodded.

 

“So, what now?” Cindy asked. “We just be sad about it?”

 

“Just be there for each other,” Kristen said.

 

“Yeah...” Quinn said. The three walked on in silence.

 

 

Later, Daria was talking to Jane on the phone. “So then, after I get Brittany squared away, Mr. O'Neill comes over wanting to talk. And they all say the same thing: "It really makes you think." I feel like getting a couch.”

 

“You're the girl of the hour. Maybe I should talk to you.

 

“Yeah right. I can't believe the way people are reacting. I mean, yeah, it's terrible what happened, but it's not as if he was nice to anyone. They're acting like they lost a friend.”

 

Boy, Daria, nothing gets through to you, does it.

 

“What's that supposed to mean?”

 

A guy died, and you're talking about what a jerk he was.

 

“I just said...” She paused “look, you want to get some pizza?

 

I'm going running.

“After?”

 

I don't know. It's going to be a long run. See you later.

 

Daria sighed, she looked at her computer and saw that Jennifer had sent an instant message.

 

Burns_Jen: Daria?

 

Misandorffer: Yeah?

 

Burns_Jen: This thing with Tommy Sherman, It's so...

 

A lengthy interval of time passed before Jennifer sent another message.

 

Burns_Jen: ...Tragic.

 

Misandorffer: Yes...

 

Burns_Jen: It really makes you think.

 

Misandorffer: Not you too!

 

Burns_Jen: Huh?

 

Misandorffer: First it was Kevin, then Brittany, then Mr. O'Neill... And now Jane is...

 

Daria pressed Enter, wondering if the 'giving me grief' turn of phrase would be appropriate.

 

Misandorffer: 'Giving me grief' over it.

 

Burns_Jen: That's just it, everyone is greiving, bet it in their own way. They know you think a lot of the dark side...

 

Misandorffer: Not all the time.

 

Burns_Jen: But a lot of the time. I guess I'll call Jane myself.

 

Misandorffer: She said she's going on a run.

 

Burns_Jen: I'll call Trent.

 

The software then said that Jennifer was offline.

 

Daria sighed and turned on the television. “Malibu's Mopious Millionaire, next on Sick, Sad World.”

 

Then there was a knock on the door. “Come in.”

 

Quinn came in. “You still have your room like this?” she asked.

 

“Yes...”

 

“Daria, can I talk to you?” she paused. “About the dead guy?”

 

“No! Talk to Jennifer, or Mom and Dad, or your other friends,” Daria snapped. She had had it.

 

“What is up with you?” Quinn asked. She had thought that their relationship was getting better.

 

“What is up? Everyone wants to talk to me about their grief for that jerk. Kevin. Brittany. Mr. O'Neill. Jane. Jennifer. And now you! Out!”

 

Quinn saw that her sister was quite angry. She didn't want to argue, so she left. “Okay, just tell me when you're ready to talk.”

 

 

Quinn retreated to her room. She sat in front of her television and turned on her Gamecube. “OK... Super Smash Bros Melee...”

 

 

After a stress relieving session of Smash, Quinn called, Jennifer, no answer. She sighed. She then called Cindy...

No comments:

Post a Comment