Thursday 9 December 2021

Mysteries of Lawndale - Night of the Coffee House - Part 8

 Part 8

Charles waved to Daria after she had got her food. Daria sighed and came over. “Have you found any of the people?” she asked.

 

He took out the sketch he had been given that morning. “No one said that they recognised them.”

 

Daria picked up on what he wasn’t saying. “But someone did react when they saw it?”

 

“Yes,” Charles answered.

 

“Who was it?” Daria asked.

 

“He’s one of those who started here the same day as you and Quinn.”

 

“His name?”

 

“Dewey Rogers, but he has picked up the nickname ‘Shaggy’ due to his resemblance to a certain cartoon character,” Charles answered.

 

“I have seen him around,” Daria said. “How did he react?”

 

“He was startled. He obviously knows who it is,” Charles said. “But he didn’t say anything more.”

 

Daria thought on it, as she sat across from Charles. She decided she would talk to Dewey Rogers after school.

 

“Penny for your thoughts,” Charles said as she took a bite from her lunch.

 

“I will find Dewey Rogers after school,” Daria responded. Even so, she glanced around the cafeteria to see if he was there.

 

“I’ll see him in class,” Charles said. “I’ll tell him you’re looking for him.”

 

“I’ll be waiting in the Library.”

 

“I’ll be sure to tell him.”

 

They sat in silence as they continued to eat.

 

 

Jeffy found Joey and Jamie. “Joey!”

 

“Yes?” Joey asked.

 

“Quinn gave me these sketches.”

 

 

The rest of the afternoon was mostly uneventful. Mostly. The trio who were involved in the break in plotted…

 

“This Daria and her Mystery Club are likely to prove it is us…” one said.

 

“Then we’ll do something…”

 

 

Charles entered the Maths class. He saw that Dewey Rogers was already there. He went to sit near him. “Hi, Shaggy,” he said.

 

‘Shaggy,’ sighed. “Hi, Upchuck,” he said with irritation.

 

“I told Daria that you know one of the people in the sketches. She’ll be waiting in the Library after school.’

 

“When was this?”

 

“At lunch,” Charles answered.

 

“And how many people would have overheard?”

 

“No one. We were alone at the table and were talking rather quietly.”

 

“Good,” Dewey said quietly. “Then I will meet her in the Library.”

 

 

Joey and Jamie showed a few other people the sketches Quinn gave them to a couple other members of the football team. “I have no idea who this is,” Robert Koreleski said politely after looking over his sketch a couple of times.

 

“I’ll ask a few more people,” Joey said.

 

“I’ll ask a few too.” Robert said.

 

“You can take it.,” Jamie said.

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

After school, Daria entered the library. Dewey wasn’t there yet. ‘Hopefully, he won’t be long,’ she thought. She grabbed a copy of the Lawndale Sun-Herald and sat down. There wasn’t much new in that edition. She had almost finished it when Dewey came in.

 

“Daria?” he asked.

 

“Over here,” Daria said.

 

Dewey came over. “You have another copy of that sketch?” he asked.

 

“I do,” Daria responded, she took it out of her pocket.

 

“Cool,” Dewey said. He took the sketch from Daria and looked at it. “I was right.”

 

“So, who is it?” Daria asked.

 

Dewey looked around nervously. Daria couldn’t fault him. There could be anyone else in the library.

 

“Or do you want to meet elsewhere?”

 

Dewey thought for a moment. “Elsewhere,” he decided.

 

“So, where?” Daria asked. “We can go to your place, if you want.”

 

Dewey handed the sketch back to her. “Where has the Mystery Club been meeting?”

 

“We haven’t had formal meetings yet. It’s been more of an ad hoc thing.”

 

“Oh. I guess your place would be good. I’m sure I can trust you and your family, given that you are also new to Lawndale.”

 

“Sure,” Daria said, slightly surprised. “We can go now.”

 

 

Jane entered the room where her homeroom was usually held. Ms. Morris was waiting for her. “Well, I’m here,” she said.

 

“Good Lane. Now sit and be quiet!”

 

Jane sat and glared at Ms. Morris.

 

 

Quinn met the three boys as they left the school. “So, did anyone recognise the people in the pictures?” she asked Jeffy.

 

“No, they didn’t,” he said.

 

The other two shook their heads.

 

“Oh.”

 

“So, we’re still at square one?” Jamie asked.

 

“I didn’t say that. I haven’t checked in with Daria and Jane all day. I’ll find out when I get home if they made progress,” Quinn answered.

 

“Can we come with you then?” Joey asked.

 

“Sure,” Quinn responded. “If you can keep up!”

 

“You’re jogging?” Jamie asked.

 

“No! Silly, I came on my bike!”

 

“Oh!”

 

“But we didn’t come on our bikes,” Jeffy said.

 

“You can still come,” Quinn said.

 

“Cool,” Jamie said.

 

“But we’re waiting for Stacy first,” Quinn added.

 

“Sure,” Jamie said.

 

 

Officer Peterson met Daria and Dewey at a café halfway between the High School and the Morgendorffer’s neighborhood. “Daria!” she called.

 

“This is Dewey. He suspects he knows who one of the culprits is.”

 

“Oh,” Xanthe said. “But the evidence would be circumstantial. It won’t hold up in court.”

 

“I know that,” Daria said. “I’m planning to have them confess at the Coffee House.”

 

“That could backfire,” Peterson said with a warning tone.

 

“I know. Which is why I would like you and a colleague you can trust present,” Daria responded.

 

“I’ll see if I can swing it.”

 

“In any case, here are copies of sketches Jane Lane made.”

 

“The Lanes…” Peterson considered as she took the sketches.

 

‘What has she heard about Jane’s family?’ Daria wondered.

 

“Thanks,” Peterson said. “I look forward to tomorrow night then.”



No comments:

Post a Comment