Monday 24 October 2022

The Youngest Barksdale - Part 3

 

It wasn’t long before someone came over. “Hi, Daria, is it?”

 

 

“Yes, and you are?”

 

“Scarlett,” the girl answered. “I liked your answer to DeMartino.”

 

Daria smirked. “You’re not the only one.”

 

“I overheard you and Jodie earlier,” Scarlett admitted.

 

“I see,” Daria said.

 

“You were a little loud.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Especially when you groused about the teachers,” Scarlett responded.

 

“I’m wondering what I’ve got myself into.”

 

“There are some teachers who don’t have issues.”

 

Daria took out her timetable. “I have art next.”

 

“Defoe is normal.”

 

“Good!”

 

 

Scarlett and Daria finished their lunch. “Thanks for joining me,” Daria said.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

 

Daria entered the art class. There were many students already there, including Brittany and Jodie. She found an empty spot along one of the sides.

 

The class soon started.

 

 

“Daria?” Ms. Defoe asked.

 

“Here,” Daria responded.

 

“I have looked at your record.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“It’s impressive,” Defoe praised.

 

“Really?”

 

 

Defoe nodded.

 

“Thanks.”

 

 

Daria stayed for a short while after Art finished. “You wanted to talk?” she asked Defoe.

 

“Yes. I wonder if you would like to tutor some of our freshmen students.”

 

“Oh...” Daria stated.

 

“You don’t have to answer right away.”

 

“I knew I was good, but not that good.”

 

Ms. Defoe gave a small chuckle. “All I’m asking is, if you would think about it.”

 

It was a good opportunity. “I shall,” she said with a smile.

 

“Good.”

 

 

Daria took out the timetable again as she left the Art classroom.

 

After an unremarkable period of Math, school let out for the day.

 

 

To her surprise, she saw that her sister was home. “Helen? It’s not even five o’clock yet.”

 

“I thought I would have an hour’s leave to spend time with my sister,” Helen explained.

 

“Oh.”

 

“And to see how you’re settling in to your new school.”

 

“Today went well,” Daria said as she sat in one of the lounge chairs. “I have made a few acquaintances.”

 

“That’s good, Daria. We’re going to do something you want to do.”

 

“If it’s shopping. I’ll stay home.”

 

“Really?” Helen asked.

 

“Yes. But you can show me around this town.”

 

“I can do that,” Helen said with a sigh.

 

 

The Morgendorffers had only been in Lawndale for a year and Helen had been busy through most of that time, so there wasn’t much of the town that she was familiar with other than the business park, Malls and some restaurants. Even so, there were some things she could show Daria. They arrived at the Big Strawberry less than fifteen minutes later.

 

“The Big Strawberry. Lawndale’s largest tourist trap,” Helen said.

 

“There are others?”

 

“Several. But there is a good view of the town from up top.”

 

“I got a good view of the town on the way in,” Daria said. “But I suppose a different perspective would be informative.”

 

 

It didn’t take long to climb up. Daria took in the vista before her. “Mostly the suburbia, hardly any of the downtown.”

 

“I give you that,” Helen said.

 

“But I’ll look for a while.”

 

Helen nodded, appreciating the view alongside her sister.

 

 

They arrived home to see that Quinn and her friends were in the Lounge room, talking about fashion.

 

 

“Who is that, Quinn?” Sandi Griffin asked.

 

“Aunt,” Quinn said, annoyed that Sandi had brought it up.

 

“Really?” Sandi asked.

 

“She is my aunt! It’s not like she’s my sister!”

 

“I see,” Sandi said.

 

“Sandi, hello,” Quinn’s mother said.

 

“Hi,” Sandi said coldly before turning back to her friends.

 

 

“Queen Bee, I see,” Daria murmured.

 

“Quinn is giving her a run for her money though,” Helen said quietly.

 

“Of course, she is,” Daria responded.

 

“The other two just let them argue it out, passively aggressively.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment