Friday 10 September 2021

Mysteries of Lawndale - The First Party - Part 5

 

The First Party – Part 5

Quinn met a trio of football players who hadn’t been shy about their attraction to her. “Hi, Jeffy, Joey, Jamal.”

 

“It’s Jamie!” Jamie White said. It annoyed him that people seemed to forget his real first name.

 

“Hi, Quinn,” Jeffy Brown said.

 

“Hi, Quinn,” Joey Black said.

 

“So, how was the practice game?”

 

“It was great!”” Jeffy enthused.

 

 

“So I said, ‘Just because people are cliquey and snotty is no reason not to like them,’” Quinn said to her admirers.

 

“I agree,” Jeffy said.

 

 

“There you are, Stacy,” Sandi Griffin said as Stacy approached.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m late,” Stacy said.

 

“At least you haven’t, like, displayed outright tardiness,” Sandi said.

 

“Quinn was late.”

 

“Quinn?” Sandi asked.

 

“She came with her sister and that art chick,” Stacy answered.

 

“I see,” Sandi said. ‘I see that she’s spending more time with the Mystery Club, rather than the Fashion Club! I have to do something about it.’ She didn’t know what at that time though...

 

 

Daria and Jane were observing. Jane noticed someone approaching. “Look at ten o’clock.”

 

“Yes, the freckly red-head?” Daria asked.

 

“Yes. He’s Charles ‘Upchuck’ Ruttheimer III, sleazeball,’ Jane said.

 

“I’ve heard of him,” Daria said.

 

“Oh, he’s coming this way!”

 

 

‘Upchuck’ approached the two girls, with a lecherous grin on his face. “Chuck Ruttheimer, here. And you are...?”

 

“You know my name, Upchuck,” Jane said with irritation.

 

“Of course I do, Ms. Lane, but I haven’t met your companion before, although I have certainly heard of her since she started at Lawndale.”

 

“Daria, mystery solver.”

 

“Yes, your creating a Mystery Club has created quite the stir... Fiesty.”

 

“Yes...” Daria said.

 

“Would you ladies like a tour of the house? It’s free.”

 

“Certainly,” Daria said.

 

“Are you sure?” Jane asked.

 

“There may be things about the cheerleader that he knows that she wouldn’t want known, and others wouldn’t know,” Daria whispered.

 

“I suppose...” Jane said.

 

“And her parents.”

 

“I know that you’re up to something,” Upchuck said.

 

“We’re coming,” Daria said.

 

“Brittany’s father made his money in the real estate business, and owns substantial property throughout Lawndale...”

 

 

“...This five-bedroom house is designed in a combination of southern pseudo-plantation and late mock-Tudor styles. To your right, the quasi-Victorian breakfast nook. Straight ahead, the family den, which was inspired by the novels of Isak Dinesen.”

 

They stopped in front of the laundry room.

 

“And this... is the make-out room! Am I blushing? Confidentially, it's really the laundry room.” He tapped on the door.

 

Someone inside said. “Can it, Upchuck, or I'll break your face!”

 

There was a fit of feminine giggling.

 

“As we've reached the end of our tour, I'd like to thank you for your undivided attention. Any questions?”

 

“Plenty, but those can be answered in time. Firstly, how were you invited?” Daria asked.

 

“I dissected her frog,” Upchuck responded.

 

‘That would do it,’ Daria thought. “Let’s have another look upstairs,” she said.

 

“Are you sure?” Upchuck asked.

 

“Don’t take it the way I’m sure you were taking it!” Jane said.

 

“No! I mean, the bedrooms would be occupied anyway,” Upchuck said.

 

“They weren’t earlier,” Jane said.

 

“Ms. Lane, If Brittany didn’t invite me, I wouldn’t have come,” Upchuck said.

 

“Leave it, Jane. Yes, I’m sure. The hostess is occupied ensuring her boyfriend doesn’t eat all the chips too fast,” Daria said.

 

Upchuck looked in the direction Daria had been looking. “You are good!” he enthused.

 

 

Meanwhile, Sandi was listening to Tori Jericho, one of Lawndale’s ‘Queen Bee’s’ talk about the popularity of the various people in the room. “Now, she used to be very popular, but then then there was that unfortunate nose job.” Tori noticed Daria, Jane and Upchuck.

“I don’t know why he is here. He must have done Brittany a favor. The auburn haired one is interesting, she seems obsessed with solving the mysteries in this town. Boy, are there a lot of them. She seems to have become friends with the Art chick.”

 

Sandi interrupted.... “That Mystery Club, Stacy has become a member,” she said.

 

“So?” Tori asked. “She probably wants to solve some mysteries.”

 

“Maybe, but she might be, like, enticed, away from the Fashion Club.”

 

“That’s your problem, not mine.”

 

“Maybe, but the Mystery Chick could, like, become popular by association.”

 

“I see...” Tori said.

 

“We have to stop that,” Sandi said.

 

“It may happen...”

 

They continued their discussion, wondering how to discredit Daria...

 

 

Daria, Jane and Upchuck went upstairs. “You know where her father’s office is?” Daria asked.

 

“Daria?” Jane asked.

 

“This is an opportunity I can’t pass up. The partygoers will not notice. Nor will Mr. Taylor,” Daria explained.

 

“Are you sure, Daria?” Upchuck asked. “He may have some security measures that a teen investigator like yourself would not be prepared for on such short notice.”

 

Daria considered what Upchuck said. “I am sure, and I am aware that he might have such measures.”

 

“So, you are going to have a look anyway?” Jane asked.

 

“Yes,” Daria said.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment