Monday 20 September 2021

Quinn's Code 14 Wedding Trouble Conclusion

 Wedding Trouble – Conclusion

Leeville

In the meantime, Helen had continued to drink. “Honey, maybe we ought to think about getting back,” Jake said.

 

“No, my little party's just beginning,” Helen objected. “Waiter!”

 

“Here, I'll get you some coffee and wedding cake,” Jake said trying to defuse the situation.

 

“Oh, Rita would love that, seeing me balloon up right in front of her.”

 

“Helen, um, you're being kind of loud.”

 

“Oh, no! We don't want a scene do we? We don't want to spoil the lovely wedding that lovely mother spent so much lovely money on.”

 

Paul arrived at the table at that moment. “Is everything okay here?” he asked.

 

“Well, you're right about one thing; she sure knows how to pick'em!” Helen said in her intoxicated state.

 

“Hey!” Paul cried out.

 

“Keep it down!” Jake cried out.

 

“Wanna make me?” Paul asked.

 

Rita and Erin then arrived. “What's going on? Helen?” Rita asked, shocked at the scene.

 

Erin was even more shocked. “Oh, you know perfectly well what's going on, Mother. Your pathetic boyfriend is making a scene!”

 

“What do you mean, pathetic?” Paul asked.

 

“Look in the mirror, pal!” Jake answered, his voice rising.

 

Helen stood, swaying. “I just want to say one thing, Rita. You may be the pretty one, you may be the one Mom loves, but I worked my damn butt off!”

 

Erin didn't like this at all! “Aunt Helen! Please!”

 

Brian then arrived at the table...

“What's going on? No cat fights, ladies!” he said.

 

“Shut the hell up, you prehistoric imbicile!” Rita called out.

 

 

Amy and Daria looked at the increasing fracas with increasing worry. “Things are getting ugly. I suggest we make a hasty but unobtrusive exit,” Amy suggested.

 

“I agree!” Daria said. She was angry at the situation, but she didn't want to get involved.

 

“Let's go find a place that serves cheese fries. You eat, I'll watch.”

 

Daria turned to Luhrman. “I'm taking off.”

 

“Oh, sure, leave me to the dogs,” Luhrman said, his monotone unaffected.

 

“You can come if you want,” Daria offerred.

 

“No, I prefer to sit here and watch the carnage unfold. It's been fun, though,” Luhrman said. He offered his hand to Daria.

 

Daria shook it. “Yeah,” she said.

 

 

As they began to walk out, they heard Quinn call out. “Wait!” They turned and saw Quinn running up to them. “Don't leave me here!”

 

“What about Garrett?” Daria asked.

 

“He can look after himself,” Quinn said defensively. “He knocked out that creepy minister when he started to hit on Daphne.”

 

“I see,” Daria said.

 

“Follow me,” Amy said as Daria and Quinn followed her. “Don't look to the left or the right. There's nothing you can do for these people now.”

 

 

They drove around Leville, looking for a place to eat. “What would be a good place?” Amy asked her neices.

 

“A fast food place,” Quinn answered.

 

“Probably not,” Daria objected.

 

“Maybe a place that sells fast food, but not as their primary business, like an arcade!” Quinn said.

 

“Quinn, I'm not in the mood for your gamer persona,” Daria said.

 

“Persona!” Quinn objected.

 

“Yes. Persona, as in not your true self!” Daria said.

 

“What a lot of mumbo jumbo!” Quinn objected.

 

“Stop!” Amy said.

 

“What?” Quinn asked.

 

“You're sounding like your Mom and Rita at your age,” Amy explained. She paused. “I had enough of it then.”

 

“So, they fought from their tween years?” Quinn asked.

 

“If you mean, 'pre-teen', yes,” Amy answered. She glanced at Daria who was still seething. “Although Helen didn't get quite that angry.”

 

“I see,” Daria said.

 

 

Amy waited a few seconds before asking the question again. “A bowling alley,” Quinn answered.

 

“Daria?” Amy asked.

 

“That would do.”

 

 

Ten minutes later, they found the bowling alley.

 

“Amy, is life always tawdry, stupid, and humiliating, or is it just a phase?” Daria asked.

 

“Oh, Daria!” Quinn said with exhasperation.

 

“A phase that I'm expected to grow out of any time now,” Amy answered. She noted Quinn's response, but decided that she hadn't hit that phase yet. 'Or if she has, she's either hiding it really well, or has friends who help her see the good stuff,' she thought. She remembered that Rita had had plenty of friends back in high school, but she still had her down moments.

 

“Um, sure,” Quinn said, uncertain.

 

As they entered, they saw that Brian had beat them there. He was sitting there watching tv. “One three-time hubby is not enough for this red hot mammal. The polygamous hippopotamus, when Sick Sad World returns.”

 

“I'm not going back there. I don't care who sent you.”

 

“Does he look familiar to you?” Amy asked.

 

“I think I saw him on America's Least Wanted,” Daria said.

 

Quinn giggled in response to Daria's statement.

 

 

Soon they sat at a table. “I suppose you want to ask me what your mother was like as a child,” Amy said.

 

“You already gave some hints,” Quinn pointed out.

 

“True,” Amy said.

 

“Okay, what else?” Daria asked.

 

“A tightly wound pain in the ass,” Amy answered.

 

“That's still true!” Quinn said with a slightly subdued giggle.

 

“Tell me more,” Amy encouraged.

 

“No, we need a new topic,” Daria said with irritation.

 

“I'm curious,” Amy said.

 

“Earlier this year, she tried to introduce ridiculous rules, and put us through a 'Family Court'!” Quinn elaborated.

 

“That...” Amy began with disbelief.

 

“Very annoying...” Daria began. She paused. “Like a certain sister...”

 

“Dar-i-a! Amy would like to know!”

 

“We'll talk about something else, later. At the moment, Quinn. I'd like to know more,”

“It started after Daria and I arrived home late,” Quinn began.

 

 

Back at the reception. Daphne was trying to soothe, Garret's wounds, both to his body, and to his ego.

 

“I don't know what happened. One minute I had him, and then...”

 

“Shush, Garrett,” Daphne said. “It's very sweet, sticking up for me.”

 

“Yes...” He stopped, in pain.

 

'He's cute,' Daphne thought.

 

 

Out on the golf course, despite the fact that it was night, someone was there. “Sir, wouldn't this be more enjoyable in the day time?” a caddy asked.

 

Jake was enjoying himself plenty, focusing on the game, trying not the worry about his wife causing a scene with her family. “Don't talk son. You're shaking the light,” he said to the caddy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment