Friday 17 November 2023

17th November 2023 Writings

 

17th

 

Excerpt from: Strider

It was dark, for there was no light, and the fire had burned low. Even so, they saw that Merry wasn’t there. They threw on a couple of logs and found that Strider had come with them and was sitting in a chair by the door.

 

“Hallo. Who are you and what do you want?” Pippin asked.

 

“I am called Strider, and though he may have forgotten it, your friend promised to have a quiet talk with me.”

 

“You said I might hear something to my advantage I believe. What have you to say?” Frodo said.

 

“Several things,” Strider answered. “But of course I have my price.”

 

“What do you mean?” Frodo asked in a sharp tone.

 

“Don’t be alarmed! I mean just this: I will tell you what I know, and give you some good advice – but I shall want a reward.”

 

Words: 143

 

 

Excerpt from: Spider Quinn

“I work alone,” SpiderGirl answered. She then saw the dejected look on Brittany’s face. “For now.”

 

“Oh,” Brittany said.

 

“I’ll think about it,” SpiderGirl said.

 

Brittany smiled. “Cool.”

 

“Are you heading home now?” SpiderGirl asked.

 

“Yes, in Crewe Neck,” Brittany answered.

 

“I can get you to the gatehouse. I need to get somewhere, as I left a friend in a tight spot with another friend to investigate what you were up to.”

 

“Sure.”

 

 

SpiderGirl came to the ground and stood up. “You can hold onto me, but it may be more difficult for me to swing if it’s the other way around.”

 

“The former,”  Brittany said as she threw her hands around the superhero girl.

 

“Not too tight,” SpiderGirl said.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“Let’s go.”

 

 

What followed wasn’t scary for Brittany, rather exhilarating, as they headed in a southeasterly direction from Howard Drive towards Crewe Neck over rooftops and through trees.

 

 

While Brittany was talking to SpiderGirl, Daria and Jane were having their own conversation.

 

“Is that song getting happier or am I just getting more miserable?” Jane asked Daria regarding Trent’s music.

 

“It's verging on bouncy, all right. But please, continue with your delightful presentation.”

 

“You've got these government types at school telling us to watch out for weird behavior. Then the alien nut on TV says the same thing. Meanwhile, your mother is weird, your sister is weird, and all the kids at school look at us funny.”

 

“That's not new,” Daria said before Jane could say more.

 

“Yeah, but now there's respect. And that song? Maybe it's the alien signal and Trent's beckoning to the U.F.O.”

 

“Ah, but the U.F.O. went away.”

 

“Well, maybe aliens don't like sucky music and he's actually trying to save humanity,” Jane explained.

 

“When do we get to the crop circles?” Daria asked, before Trent’s music stopped.

 

“Uh-oh. The music stopped,” Jane said and hid her drawing under the bed.

 

“Hey, what’s going on?” Trent asked as he entered.

 

“Nothing,” Daria answered.

 

“Nada,” Jane added.

 

Words: 331

 

 

Total: 474

No comments:

Post a Comment