Monday 20 November 2023

19th November 2023 Writings

 

19th

 

Excerpt from: A Fellowship of 10

“There is food in the wild,” Strider answered. “Berry, root and herb; and I have some skill as a hunter at need. You need to be afraid of starving before winter comes. But gathering and hunting food is long and weary work and we need haste. So tighten your belts and think with hope of the tables of Elrond’s house!”

It got colder as the night deepened. Peering out from the edge of the dell, they couldn’t see anything other than but a grey land disappearing into shadow. Hanna and her companions huddled around the fire, wrapped in every garment and blanket they had; but it seemed that Strider was content with a simple cloak.

 

As the night continued he told them tales of long ago, of Elves and Men in the Elder days, of Gil-galad and then Tinuviel. He had finished telling of them of Beren and Luthien and their connection to the Kings of Numenor when Merry noticed something.


Words: 161

 

 

Excerpt from: Convergence on Lawndale

“I believe that we established that,” Kaelyn answered in a snide tone.

 

“I mean. Are you known to the government as a human or what?” Ron asked.

 

“Ah,” Kaelyn said, quietly. “Apparently, I was named after a daughter they lost. But they haven’t said much about her.”

 

“I see,” Kim said. It didn’t surprise her that much.

 

“Far from the first time I encountered such,” the Doctor commented.

 

“Both of them are engineers who work for Landon Engineering.”

 

“Haven’t heard of it,” Ron said.

 

Words: 84

 

 

Excerpt from: Spider Quinn

Stacy was quiet for a while, before they started talking about other things.

 

 

Daria soon returned home. “Are you OK?” Helen asked when she came in.

 

“I’m fine. I mean, I miss Dad, but that’s not why had gone out.”

 

Helen nodded. “Still, I am worried for both of you.”

 

“I think it’s Quinn you need to look out for more,” Daria said as she headed up the stairs.

 

“I know.”

 

 

Shortly after Daria got back, Stacy saw her mother pull up outside. “I’ll be going,” she said. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

 

“Wait, Stacy,” Quinn said.

 

“Yes?” Stacy asked.

 

“You’re interested in Superheroes right?”

 

“What brought this on?” Stacy asked. “Is it SpiderGirl?”

 

“In a way,” Quinn answered enigmatically. “I have seen some of your books.”

 

“Oh right,” Stacy remembered. “When I was younger, I collected comics and bought books. But that changed after I met Sandi in middle school.” She looked outside again and saw that her mother was coming up to the front door. “But that can wait.”

 

“Of course,” Quinn said.

 

“Wait, Stacy,” Tiffany said.

 

“What now?” Stacy asked, slightly annoyed.

 

“Could you take me home?” Tiffany asked.

 

“Sure!” Stacy said.

 

 

Helen opened the door. “Hello, Elisabeth. Stacy will be down shortly.”

 

Elisabeth Rowe entered. “How are you holding up?” she asked.

 

“I’m fine. Keeping busy, mostly. My sisters are helping, funnily enough.”

 

“You’re lonely, aren’t you?”

 

“Yes,” Helen admitted.

 

“You aren’t alone,” Elisabeth said taking one of Helen’s hands.

 

“Thanks, but I don’t know you much,” Helen said.

 

Stacy and Tiffany then came down the stairs. “Mom, Tiffany would like a lift home,” the former said.

 

“Sure,” Elisabeth said to her daughter. She turned to Helen. “Would you like to come to a café tomorrow evening?”

 

“I’ll see if I can swing it with work,” Helen answered. ‘It would be a good idea,’ she thought.

 

“I’ll hold you to it.”

 

 

“How’s Quinn?” Elisabeth asked her daughter as she pulled away from the Morgendorffers.

 

“She’s still grieving, but she’s coping in her own way,” Stacy answered.

 

“That’s good.”

 

“You’re concerned for Mrs. Morgendorffer, aren’t you?”

 

“Yes.”

 

 

Lawndale Sun-Herald

Wednesday, December 2, 1999

Teacher Arrested

Anthony DeMartino, a History teacher at Lawndale High was mysteriously arrested on school grounds yesterday by Federal agents.

 

 

When Daria and Jane arrived at school, Mr. O’Neill’s rally was already underway.

 

“So that's why I say commies aren't team players, so keep them out of team sports. All right!” Kevin said.

 

“Yay, no commie team!” Brittany added.

 

“Um, thank you, Kevin. But actually, the communist is your ultimate team player. The team is all; the individual, nothing,” O’Neill said.

 

Words: 438

 

 

Total: 582


No comments:

Post a Comment