Thursday 8 July 2021

A New Kid's Dance Party While a Tree Grows

 

A New Kid’s Dance Party While a Tree Grows Part 1

Day 1

Lawndale High Principal Angela Li, entered the Art classroom. “Good morning, students,” she paused. “Where is your instructor?”

 

“She went to the ladies' room,” Brittany Taylor said.

 

The Principal produced a tape recorder. “10:25, Defoe leaves post without clearance for personal business. Initiate investigation.” She clicked off the tape recorder, and turned to the class. “Anyway, I just dropped in to caution you that the school dance is in three weeks, and security is going to be especially tight. So, if anyone is thinking of rigging a bucket of pig's blood to the rafters, well, they can just forget it.”

 

 

In the corridor after class, Jodie Landon caught up with Daria Morgendorffer. “Hey, Daria. I didn't see you today. You said you might come to the photography meeting for yearbook.”

 

“Yes, well, when the dentist turned off the gas, I had a change of heart,” Daria snarked back.

 

“But it's fun, and it looks good on your transcript,” Jodie argued.

 

“I'm against both those things.”

 

“Free film and developing.”

 

“Mmm-hmm...”

 

“And if your parents find out that you're even considering it, you could probably squeeze some tremendous bribe out of them,” Jodie suggested.

 

“I'll think about it.”

 

 

Down the corridor, Kevin Thompson said, “The dance is going to be cool.”

 

Brittany slapped Kevin “You callous oaf!”

 

“Ow! What?”

 

“Did you forget the last dance, when I caught you making out with Zoe?!”

 

“For the 50th time, Babe, I was fixing her nose ring!”

 

“What do you think, I'm stupid and stuff?”

 

“Hey, I've already told you, smart doesn't matter with a body like mine... I mean yours.”

 

“Hmph! For your information, there are plenty of guys who think I'm pretty and smart!”

 

“You can visit them at the Cedars of Lawndale head injury ward,” Daria snarked.

 

“Ooh, I'm sick of this! Maybe it's time I find someone who really appreciates me!” Brittany retorted.

 

“Maybe I should find someone who really appreciates me!”

 

“Give me a break!” Jodie snarked.

 

“Then you just go ahead and do that because it's, it's over! And this time I mean it!” Brittany said.

 

“Maybe I should find someone who really appreciates me!” Kevin said as he ran off.

 

“Is it true. They have finally broken up?” Jodie asked Daria.

 

“I doubt it. I think they’ve mated for life,” Daria answered.

 

 

Even in the middle of the school day, there were students hanging around the front of the school. However those students were surprised to see Kevin Thompson leave the school building at a running pace, like he was running for a ball that wasn’t there. The analogy seemed to be correct, as less than half minute later, without looking where he was going, he ran straight into the Tommy Sherman Memorial Tree and fell over, clutching his knee in pain...

 

 

“Hey, you broke the Tommy Sherman Memorial Tree,” Jeffy Brown accused.

 

“Good thing he's dead or he'd really let you have it,” Joey Green said.

 

 

Mr. O’Neill had asked one of his language arts classes if they would have liked to volunteer for the Dance Committee.

 

After remembering a bad experience regarding volunteering in Middle School, Sandi Griffin turned to Quinn Morgendorffer. “Gee, Quinn, I think you should volunteer. You have such good taste.”

 

“Um, but you have even better taste, Sandi. You should volunteer,” Quinn returned.

 

“I know, why don't you take the job and appoint the Fashion Club as your committee? Of course, if you don't think we're up to it then just say so.”

 

“Um, okay, I guess. Mr. O'Neill, I'll head the dance committee.”

 

“Really? Great! Get ready to work like you've never worked before!”

 

“Oh, I'll have the Fashion Club to help me. Right, guys? Guys?”

 

 

After that period... “Did you hear, Brittany? Kevin was taken to the hospital after running into the Tommy Sherman Memorial Tree,” Angie Zammit said, as she came up to her fellow cheerleaders.

 

“Serves him right, the Jerk!” Brittany said. After their argument earlier, she had difficulty feeling compassionate.

 

“Brittany?” Angie asked with concern.

 

“I’ve had it, Kevin and I are finally over for good! I’m not seeing him in the hospital!”

 

“Is it over-over, like the time he got you a football for your birthday, or just over, like the time he thought your goldfish needed air?”

 

“No, this time it's really over-over. And as fellow cheerleaders, you have to swear on a stack of pompoms not to go to the dance with that two-timing, scum of the earth, Kevin.”

 

“Are you sure?” Angie asked.

 

“You can visit him in the hospital if you want to,” Brittany conceded. “But don’t go to the dance with him!”

 

All four other cheerleaders said “We solemnly swear not to go to the dance with that two-timing, scum of the earth, Kevin. Yay, team!”

 

 

That night at the Morgendorffer’s...

 

“I can't believe you're trying to bribe me... with singles,” Daria said.

 

“Sweetie, it's not a bribe, it's a deal. Honestly, you're worse than my clients,” Her mother, Helen, said.

 

“I'm sorry. Yearbooks completely distort the reality of high school. Of course, the yearbook experience could provide material for a web page... if I had the software,”

 

“Software it is!” Her father, Jake, said as he grabbed the stack of cash.

 

The doorbell rang.

 

“Charity bloodsuckers!” Jake said.

 

“No, it's the fashion bloodsuckers,” Daria said.

 

“Everyone, please remain in your seats until my guests and I are all safely upstairs. Thank you,” Quinn said from the entrance to the kitchen, before heading towards the door.

 

“How come Quinn never introduces us to her friends?” Jake asked.

 

The phone rang. Helen picked it up “Hello? ... Rita!”

Jake heard a noise outside and went to investigate...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment