Monday 5 July 2021

Mysteries of Lawndale - Esteem of the Investigator - Part 2

 

Part 2

16 September 1997

Daria was annoyed at the Self Esteem Class already. The teacher was droning on, espousing New Age crap: “Esteem... a teen. They don't really rhyme, do they? The sounds don't quite mesh. And that, in fact, is often the case when it comes to a teen and esteem. The two just don't seem to go together. But we are here to begin realizing your actuality...”

 

‘That makes no sense! ‘Realizing your actuality’?’ She thought. She raised her hand. “Excuse me. I have a question.”

 

“Sorry, question and answer time is later.”

 

“I want to know what ‘realizing your actuality’ means.”

 

“It means... look, just let me get through this part, okay? Then there'll be a video!”

 

‘That’s annoying!’ Daria thought. She began writing that the teacher didn’t know what he was doing, but she was interrupted.

 

A girl seated behind her with chin-length hair, three piercings in her ears and wearing a paint splattered red jacket over a dark grey outfit leaned forward and said; “He doesn't know what it means. He's got the speech memorized. Just enjoy the nice man's soothing voice.”

 

Daria turned around. “How am I supposed to follow him if I don't know what he's talking about?”

 

“I can fill you in later. I've taken this course six times.”

 

 

Quinn approached a large house. “Here it is, 512 Grandstaff Drive.” She went up and rang the doorbell.

 

The door was opened by a young boy with brown hair. “Hi!” he said.

 

“Hello, this is the Griffin’s right?”

 

“That’s right,” the boy answered.

 

“I’m Quinn. Is Sandi here?”

 

“I’m Sam. Sandi is in her room with Stacy and Tiffany. Up the stairs and in the room to the left.”

 

Quinn flounced in, quickly taking in how the Griffin’s living room appeared. (She didn’t notice as much as Daria would have, but there were times in Highland that she had noticed something that Daria had missed.)

 

 

Stacy waited nervously for Quinn to arrive. “She’s late!” Sandi said, looking at the clock on her computer screen.

 

“She is probably taking her time trying to find the house,” Stacy said.

 

Sandi used her glare of disapproval on her.

 

“Eep!”

 

However then, there was a knock on the door. “Hello?” It was Quinn.

:

“Come in, we’re, like, just about to start,” Sandi said.

 

“That’s great!” Quinn said.

 

 

Daria was walking with her new friend, Jane Lane. As they entered a Lawndale neighbourhood that appeared to date from the turn of the century Jane said, “So, then, after the role-playing, next class they put the girls and the guys in separate rooms and a female counselor talks to us about body image.”

 

“A classroom full of guys and a male teacher?”

 

It didn’t take a genius to guess, “Nocturnal emissions.”

 

“I don't get it, Jane. You've got the entire course memorized. How come you can't pass the test to get out?”

 

“I could pass the test, but I like having low self-esteem. It makes me feel special.”

 

 

Half an hour later, Daria relaxed as she and Jane recovered from their success at stopping a bank from foreclosing on the Lane’s. “So your parents, when did you last see them?” Daria asked.

 

“Let’s see, Mom a few weeks ago. She stayed for a couple of days. Dad at the beginning of summer. He just stayed overnight,” Jane said. She saw Daria’s concern. “Don’t worry, Trent and I can look after ourselves.”

 

Daria looked around at the rather untidy house and Jane’s lean figure. ‘The house needs attention, but she looks well nourished.’ She decided to change the topic. “So you said that you’re an artist?”

 

“Yes, but what is with the third degree, Daria?”

 

“Force of habit.”

 

“Habit?” Jane asked with a slightly worried tone.

 

“I find mysteries and I solve them. I have done so since I was seven or eight. I surprised some detectives, one of whom offered to help me hone my skills. I have lost count of the mysteries that I have solved.”

 

“Cool,” Jane said.

 

“For instance, yesterday I noticed something ‘off’ about the school,” Daria said. She told Jane her observations about the school, including the cameras, the advertising for the football team and her suspicions about Mrs. Manson. “...as I told my sister, Lawndale may not be an ordinary suburb.”

“I agree, they are obsessed about football here,” Jane said in response.

 

“That explains that, but I have a feeling that there is more to it.”

 

“You know, there are a lot of odd occurrences at the school. Maybe you could explain them.”

 

“Tomorrow, I will spend more time among the other students,” Daria decided.

 

“Maybe I could help you, the Watson to your Holmes, if you like.”

 

“It would involve extracurricular activity. I intend to form a Mystery Club.”

 

“Jane Lane, artist extraordinaire, and Mystery Club Vice President. Sounds Good.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment