Wednesday 28 August 2019

Isaiah Study 4 Discussion Translation and 42:1 clarification:

Translation and 42:1 clarification:

Note: All Scripture passages are in the New International Version (NIV)

Isaiah Study 4 – Finding Jesus in Isaiah (The Servant/Saviour)

Isaiah 42 & 49
READ the following passages:
Isaiah 42:1 – 7 Jehovah' servant who will bring justice.

“Here is my servant,  whom I uphold,
        my chosen one  in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit  on him,
        and he will bring justice  to the nations.

“Whom I uphold” can be read in either of two ways. “Whom I lean upon” As if God places the full measure of His glory upon Jesus and gave the work of Grace into His hands. That is if the passage is read passively. But if read actively, “Whom I uphold.” Both are true. The Father and the Son co-work and their glory is mutual.
And he will bring justice to the nations – the Gentiles are no longer excluded.[1]

Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight - Three characteristics of the servant are revealed.
The Lord Upholds Him – It is an affectionate embrace. He gives Him what He needs in His Godly endeavours.
The Lord has chosen the Servant. The Servant is responding to the Lord's initiative rather than acting on His own.
The Lord delights in the Servant. He isn't a mere tool, but is Someone who brings joy to His heart. (Matthew 3:17[2], 17:5[3])
He will bring justice – Justice and righteousness are related. This means bringing people into a right relationship with God and each other. If one is in a right relationship with God, righteousness comes to one's life.
To the nations – Israel takes pride in its covenant status with the Lord, but He made it clear from the beginning that the covenant involved blessing “All peoples on Earth” (Genesis 12:3[4]) and “All nations on Earth” (Genesis 18:18[5]) Ministry to the Gentiles was nothing knew, but rooted in the covenant between God and Abraham.[6]


[1] https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/spe/isaiah-42.html

[2]  17  And a voice from heaven  said, “This is my Son,  whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

[3]  5  While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.  Listen to him!”

[4]  I will bless those who bless you,
        and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
        will be blessed through you.”

[5] Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation,  and all nations on earth will be blessed through him.

[6] https://www.sermonwriter.com/biblical-commentary/isaiah-421-9-commentary/



What do you think Isaiah 42:1 means?

What is your opinion on the commentary thereof?


No comments:

Post a Comment