Friday 30 August 2019

Quinn's Code - Invite of the Geek - Part 1


Quinn's Code (A Daria AU)
Story 2: Invite of the Geek
Lawndale, D-1337
Wednesday, October 6, 2005
Two teen sisters were walking to school in the early morning light. The younger of the two (with pixie-length red hair and wearing a 'cute' pink shirt with the logo of The Matrix emblazoned on the front and blue jeans) was walking ahead in agitation. She turned to her sister. “Stop following me, Daria!” She said. She walked on but she could tell that her misanthropic sister was still following her. “You're still following me!”

A contrast to her geeky, yet popular, sister; (with her 'manstopper' glasses, green jacket, mustard-colored t-shirt, black pleated skirt and large boots) Daria Morgendorffer shook her head, causing her long (mostly) auburn hair to blow about in the wind. “We go to the same school,” she said, in a near monotone.

Quinn shook her head. “That doesn't mean we have to go along the same route!” she shouted. 'She could be walking with Jane or catching a lift with Jennifer!' she thought. She then saw three of the boys whom also went to Lawndale High approaching.

Hey, Quinn, can I carry your books?” Joey Green asked.

Hey, Quinn, can I carry your laptop?” Jeffy Brown asked.

Hey, Quinn, can I carry your... uh... got anything else?” Jamie White asked.

'I could get used to this, and it has to get to Daria,' Quinn thought. She took a clip out of her hair and handed it to Jamie. “You can carry this hairclip,” she said.

Great!” Jamie said.


Careful, don't hurt yourself with that clip! Or with that laptop!” Daria said as she left the vicinity of her sister and her admirers. 'This is something I can write about,' she thought as she looked prior to crossing the street.


Is that your sister?” Jamie asked.

It is, Jeremy,” Quinn said, with a sigh.

I'm Jamie.” It seemed that no one at Lawndale High could remember his name. 'It was like that all through Middle School too!' he thought.


At recess, Jamie and his friends approached their teammates Kevin Thompson (the quarterback) and Michael 'Mack' Mackenzie.

Kevin was saying “Now I remember! The party's to celebrate her parents being out of town.”
Hey, Joey, Jeffy, Jeremy.”

I'm Jamie,” he said. 'What is it with people calling me Jeremy today. First Quinn and now the idiot junior-varsity QB!'

Whatever. You going to Brittany's party?” Kevin asked.

Uh, if we're invited,” Joey said, as Quinn approached.

You're on the team, dudes. When a cheerleader has a party, all the football players are automatically invited,” Kevin said.

It's on page six of the play book,” Mack said with a sarcastic tone, whilst marveling at the sillyness of the high school social order and the rituals it entailed.

Mack's sarcasm went over the top of Kevin's head, as usual. “Really?” he asked. He turned to Quinn. “Hey, Quinn, what about you?”

You want me to go to your girlfriend's party?” she asked.

Sure!” Kevin said, unfazed.

Sure,” Quinn said. 'My first real party in Lawndale! I hope it doesn't get as rough as those in Highland!'

Joey, Jeffy and Jamie fell over themselves trying to ask Quinn out to the party...


...and so he invited me to Brittany's party. Is that weird or what?” Quinn asked her friends at lunch.

You don't know Kevin. That is rather par for the course for him,” Cindy Robinson said.

It is still a bit weird though. It is not often that a new kid is invited to a cheerleader's party,” Kristen Bell said.

Well, I am curious as to how a party in Lawndale would go,” Quinn admitted.

Would you bring me with?” Kristen asked.

I would consider it,” Quinn said.

That would be cool,” Kristen said.

It would be her first High School party,” Cindy said.

Really?” Quinn asked, incredulous.

My first party since the summer, anyway,” Kristen said. “I was invited to one or two high schooler parties in eighth grade.”

Ok,” Quinn said, smiling.

I would like to go also,” Cindy said.

I will see what I can do,” Quinn said.

You're going to ask Brittany?” Kristen asked.

Maybe,” Quinn said, thinking.


Quinn approached Jennifer Burns as the latter exited her maths class. “Hi Quinn, how was today?” Jennifer asked.

Mostly cool, but Kevin invited me to Brittany's party this weekend. That is so weird,” Quinn said.

That's strange,” Jennifer said.

Yeah,” Quinn said.

That's not what I meant,” Jennifer said, with a quizzical look on her face.

Oh?”

I mean, Kevin invites you to Brittany's party, while Brittany invites Daria to her party.”

Why would Brittany do that? I mean, the only people that Daria likes are you and Jane,” Quinn said, wondering (more at why Brittany was inviting Daria to anything more than anything else).

Daria said that she helped Brittany with One-Point Perspective in art class, and that Brittany had invited her as a favour,” Jennifer explained.

'That explains it,' Quinn thought. Something else intrigued her though. “Really?” she asked.

Yeah,” Jennifer said.

No, I mean Brittany needed help with One Point Perspective?”

Yeah,”

I wonder how she got out of elementary school?” Quinn asked.

You and me both,” Jennifer said with a slight laugh.

Anyway, there is still the fact that Kevin invited me, and now Cindy and Kristen want me to get them in too,” Quinn said.

Jennifer was in thought. “You have to figure that one out yourself,” she said.

Yeah,” Quinn said.






No comments:

Post a Comment