Sunday 6 November 2016

52 Tales of 2016 - Mystery of the Defiant - Alt Hour 13

Thirteenth Hour
Amanda Waller (DC Comics)
“Captain Sisko! I see that you are here,” the woman said as she emerged onto the Bridge.

“And you are?” Sisko asked.

“Amanda Waller. I work for a special department within the United States Government.”

There was something off about Waller. Sisko suspected that the 'special department' was something similar to that Section 31 Bashir had told him about. “I see,” he said.
“I would, however, like to know exactly what has happened up to the point of my arrival in this future.”

“Ms. Waller, you are no position to make demands,” Sisko said.

“Really?”she asked.

“You're on my ship,” Sisko answered.

“I would still like to know.”

“Not much has occurred, just people arriving,” Sisko answered.

“I see,” Waller said. “However, I would like more detail.”

“You would have to ask the others,” Sisko said, in his command voice. “But I don't guarantee their cooperation.”

“Oh, I will,” Waller stated. “Starting with the Morgendorffer girl.”

“I want to supervise these discussions,” Sisko said.

Waller glared at Sisko. “You certainly can.”

“Sisko to Morgendorffer, please report to the Bridge.”

On my way,” Daria said.


Daria wondered why Sisko had called her to the Bridge. 'Probably the most recent arrival,' she thought. 'Just as well I asked Tomoko and Mark to come with.'


Daria, Tomoko and Mark emerged onto the bridge. “Daria, this is our most recent arrival – Amanda Waller.”

“Daria Morgendorffer.”

“The computer of this vessel says that you were the first to arrive,” Waller said.

Daria could see that wasn't going to be simple conversation. “That is true,” she said guardedly.

“I would like to know what has occurred since your arrival here,” Waller stated.

“Wouldn't the computer give such a summary?” Daria asked.

“It could, but it also picks up everything that would be considered irrevelant,” Sisko answered.

“Let me be the judge of that,” Waller said.

“Go right ahead,” Sisko said.

“Computer, show each arrival from multiple viewpoints on Screen,” Waller commanded.

Affirmative.”

The screen then showed Daria's arrival.

“That doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know,” Daria said.

“No, it doesn't, but it's interesting,” Waller said. The computer then showed Bender's arrival, Waller remained silent until her own arrival was shown. She grabbed a PADD that lay nearby. “Computer, load basic character information on the arrivals other than myself to PADD.”

Affirmative.”

“What are you doing?” Daria asked.

“Gathering information, Ms. Morgendorffer.”

“I can see that,” Daria said. 'Two can play this game,' she thought. She grabbed another PADD that was nearby. “Computer,” she then smirked. “Transfer character information for all versions of Amanda Waller to PADD.”

Waller looked annoyed.

Affirmative.”

Daria glanced through the information. “Go ahead,” she said, sitting at one of the stations around the bridge.

Waller than started asking questions, Sisko watching all the while.


Daria was wary, she did give detailed information, it was still less than a day afterall, but she didn't give Waller the satisfaction of telling her about her fears that she wouldn't return to Lawndale, or her growing friendship? with Tomoko (as strange as that seemed.)

Still it was an unpleasant time, as Waller kept pushing.

Quite soon, Sisko had had enough, for Waller had started asking about her life, not only in Lawndale, but also in Highland. He said so.

“It is enough,” Waller allowed. “For now,” she said with a meaningful look in Daria's direction. “But she was just the first.”

“Sisko to Bender!” He said it with annoyance.

Coming to the Bridge, Captain.”


Bender didn't know what to expect when the captain had ordered him to report to the Bridge, but the reality was completely different. “Bite my shiny metal arse!”

“Excuse me?” Waller asked.

“I'm not telling you anything!” Bender said. He turned to leave.

“Wait!” Waller said.

“I don't have to tell you anything,” Bender pointed out as he went back to the turbolift.


Waller turned to Sisko as the robot left the Bridge. “Don't look at me,” he said.

“Call the astronaut,” Waller directed.

“Not right away. I saw how you were pestering Ms. Morgendorffer about her childhood in that town in Texas,” Sisko said. “I don't want you doing the same with him, regarding his time on Mars.”

Waller fumed. Sisko decided to wait a while. 'Best to have her where I can keep an eye on her,' he thought. He looked at the chronometer on the chair panel. 40 minutes until the next arrival.


Trump had read up on the Galactic Republic, and the Galactic Empire, discovering that there would be a great number of iterations of Star Wars before 2053 and the start of World War Three. He had also read up on the poltics of the United States in the various DC comics continuities, although that was confusing. After all this, he returned to the Mess Hall. Many of the others were still there, although Daria and Bender weren't.


“When are you going to let me ask Watney?” Waller asked Sisko.


“After we debrief the next arrival,” Sisko answered. He figured that her asking the previous arrivals just after a new arrival would be good idea. 'five minutes,' he thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment