Saturday 30 October 2021

Daria in the Background - Part 2

 Daria in the Background – Part 2

Lawndale High School; October 1, 10:23 AM

Art Class was interesting. Daria knew she didn’t have any real talent in the subject. She knew that her strengths lay elsewhere. However, even she could do basic things like perspective. “Perspective is hard,” came a high-pitched voice to her left.

 

Daria sighed.  She saw the Art teacher approaching.

 

“Good work, Daria. Your cube is bursting out of the picture plane. You’ve really created the illusion of depth,” Ms. Defoe said.

 

“Thanks,” Daria murmured.

 

“Ms. Defoe?” came the high-pitched voice again. “I need a new pencil. I used up the eraser.”

 

“Here, Brittany, take another pencil and a fresh piece of paper, and try again,” the exasperated teacher said.

 

“If I don’t figure this perspective thing out, I’ll have to take remedial art.”

 

“It’ll probably be a good thing,” Daria considered out loud.

 

Brittany shook her head. “I don’t think so. Hey, you’re smart. Show me how to do this?”

 

“Isn’t there someone else you can ask?” Daria asked in an annoyed tone.

 

“Umm, No!”

 

Daria quickly showed Brittany by drawing lines converging at a point and using the example of Cashman’s having a sale. Brittany got it but she was still confused. “Is Cashman’s really having a one day sale?”

 

“I don’t know,” Daria answered.

 

 

At lunch, Brittany came up to Daria again. “Thanks for helping me out in art.”

 

“No problem,” Daria responded.

 

“Maybe I can help you out with something.”

 

Daria shook her head. “No. I don’t need help,” she said. ‘Unless it’s how to twirl my hair around a finger while looking vacant,’ she thought. She brushed her hand through the bottom of her ponytail, but resisted the urge to twirl it as Brittany was doing with one of her pigtails. ‘It’s probably how she gets them to curl like that.’

 

“You seem rather lonely,” Brittany said. “I’m having a party Saturday night. I’d like you to come.”

 

“Is that an invitation?” Daria asked, the nervousness showing in her voice. ‘Oops!’ she chided herself. ‘I’m not lonely!’

 

“Yes,” the cheerleader answered.

 

“Parties are not my thing.”

 

“You did a favor for me. This is my favor for you,” Brittany said.

 

“I’ll think about it. I’ll get back to you by Friday.”

 

 

That evening as Daria left her room before dinner, she overheard Quinn chattering on in her room.

 

“Sheer, semi-sheer or opaque… Textured!”

 

“Isn’t one of you enough?” Daria quipped.

 

“Go away! I’m concentrating. I’m invited to party Saturday night and I have to choose the perfect outfit.”

 

Daria entered the room. “Countdown: only 72 more hours to go. Might this party be at Brittany’s house?”

 

“Yes,” Quinn answered. “And might you go away now. How do you know about it?”

 

“I’m invited, too. But I haven’t decided if I’ll go.”

 

Quinn was aghast! “But you can’t go! You’ll ruin everything!”

 

Daria smirked. “But I need to broaden my social horizons,” she added, with an imitation of their mother’s voice.

 

Quinn gave out a noise of frustration and ran out of the room. “Mom! Dad! Daria is ruining my life again!”

 

 

Helen was glad her older daughter was going to go a party. “Now, Quinn, don’t begrudge your sister an opportunity to gain a friend.”

 

“I doubt a friendship with Brittany would last,” Quinn groused.

 

“Touché, Quinn.”

 

 Quinn was still annoyed. “You should ground her, because, her room is a mess!”

 

Two could play that game. “If I go down for that one, I’m taking you with me.”

 

If only they could get along. “I think it’s great that you are going to be spending time together. Dad and I would be happy to drive you to the party and pick you up!”

 

“No!” both daughters said simultaneously.

 

“Thanks, but I’ll find some other way to get there,” Quinn said as she left the kitchen.

 

 

Daria watched Quinn leave. She wasn’t sure why she was going to the party. Was it just to annoy Quinn? ‘I can still find some out of the way place to watch what ever goes on, including what Quinn may get up to,’ she thought.

 

“Daria, I’d like it if you would look after Quinn at this party.”

 

Daria sighed. “I don’t know what I did, but it couldn’t have been that bad.”

 

“I mean it. And she doesn’t have to know about it.”

 

“Is this your way of saying how much more mature and trustworthy I am?”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment