Wednesday 13 October 2021

Return of the Runaway - Esteem of the Middle Child - Part 3

 Return of the Runaway – Esteem of the Middle Child Part 3

Quinn walked home, after having helped Jane prevent her house from being foreclosed. 'How is it that the Lane's just forgot to pay their bills?” she wondered. Jane was interesting though. 'If nothing else we do fit as acquaintances.'

 

“Hi!” Quinn stopped at the word. She turned and saw a goth chick. She had red at the front of her dark hair.

 

“You're at Lawndale High, aren't you?” she asked.

 

“I am. I just started there. What is it to you?”

 

“I tried to talk to you yesterday,” the goth said with a slightly subdued tone.

 

Quinn remembered. “Oh. I told you to 'get lost' didn't I.”

 

“Yes,” the goth said in a tone that implied that she was worried that Quinn would say so again.

 

“So, what did you want?”

 

“I'd like to get to know you. You seem interesting.”

 

That got Quinn's attention. Other than Jane; no one had found her 'interesting; before. “I see,” she responded.

 

“So?” the other girl prompted.

 

“I'll think about it.”

 

“At least that's something.”

 

“What's your name?”

 

“Oh, Kristen. Kristen Leung,” the goth said, almost whispering her last name.

 

“Oh, I'll see you at school,” Quinn said, wondering what would come of it. 'Would Jane like her?' she found herself thinking.

 

“Sure,” Kristen said.

 

 

As Quinn went on her way, Kristen thought. 'That went well. I wonder how she would react to Cindy?'

 

Quinn soon arrived home, and found her mother there waiting for her.

 

“Mom, are you OK?” she asked. “It's not even 5 o'clock yet.”

 

“I don't pretend I'm going to cure you, but if a lack of mother-daughter bonding is part of your problem, we're going to remedy that right now. We're going out to do something you want to do.”

 

“That's not the problem,” Quinn mumbled. Louder she said. “You mean, shopping?” she asked.

 

“Of course,” Helen said.

 

 

Twenty minutes later, they were in the Lawndale Mall at Cashmans.

 

Helen emerged from the change room. She was wearing a version of her usual power suit that had a different colour. “What do you think of this one?” she asked Quinn.

 

“It stands proudly and proclaims 'I am',” Quinn said in a bored tone.

 

“Really?” Helen asked. She knew Quinn was bored. 'She used to love shopping when she was younger,' she thought. Of course that was before... 'No, Helen! This is not the time to think about that!' Bad enough that she and Jake had argued about it the night before.

 

“It does,” Quinn said.

 

“Then I'll buy it,” Helen decided.

 

Quinn sighed.

 

 

 

Oklahoma City, OK

Lillian (or Daria, but she still thought of herself as Lillian out of habit) entered the library. She had taken two Greyhound coaches on her journey from Highland to Oklahoma. Another bus to eastern Kentucky would leave in two hours. She had decided to use that time to research Lawndale.

 

She soon had booked a half hour on one of the internet computers, and had found a book on the history of Maryland. It was quite informative, but there was hardly any mention of Lawndale. 'I'll search for it on Altavista,' she decided.

 

There was not much more information on Lawndale online. With frustration, Lillian went to look for more obscure sources. She started scouring the shelves. 'There has a to be a Lonely Planet here somewhere,' she thought.

 

 

Lillian did find a Lonely Planet on Maryland. It only had a bare minimum of information on Lawndale, including the fact that it was best known for the Big Strawberry, whatever that was. 'Not very helpful,' she thought. She put the book away. She looked at the time, only twenty minutes left until the bus would leave. 'I would have to find out about the town when I get there.' Soon she had left the library.

 

 

Lawndale

Trent Lane heard his sister whilstling as he passed her door. That was strange. She rarely whistled. He was rather sure. He opened the door. “Janie?” he asked.

 

“Trent?” She asked.

 

“I heard you whilstling.”

 

“Really?”

 

“I'm pretty sure.”

 

“I met someone at school. A new girl. Her name is Quinn,” Jane explained.

 

“Quinn? Sounds like a guy's name.”

 

“I'm rather sure it's a girl.”

 

“So, you think she'll be a friend?”

 

“Yes,” Jane said, giving her brother a look of vulnerability.

 

“That is good.”

 

Jane smiled.

 

 

 

September 18, 1997

Jane and Quinn were in the Self-esteem class again. “So, what are we talking about when we are talking about ourselves?” O'Neill asked. “Anyone?” he pointed to a boy. “Yes?”

 

“We're... talking about us!” The boy, with a t-shirt advertising MTV's The Head, said.

 

“Excellent! When we talk about 'ourselves' we're talking about 'us'. Now, guys, I've got a little challenge for you. Today we talked about turning your daydreams into reality. Tonight I want each one of you to go home and do just that.” O'Neill pointed to Quinn. “What's a daydream that you'd like to see come true?”

 

“I'd like to see my family do something together,” Quinn answered.

 

“Excellent!” O'Neill said.

 

“Something that will cause them to suffer!” Quinn added.

 

“Uh, it's healthy to air these feelings... I think,” O'Neill responded. The Bell rang. “We'll talk more about this tomorrow. Class dismissed.”

 

That night, during the Morgendorffer's dinner.

 

“How's the old self-esteem coming, honey?” Jake asked.

 

“My self-esteem teacher says to think back to circumstances that brought me happiness as a child and to replicate them...”

 

“Well, we can do that, honey,” Helen said.

 

“Like go to Pizza Forest, like we used to?” Quinn asked.

 

“Um,” Jake began...

 

“No!” Ronni said.

 

“Quinn, I don't think there is one in Lawndale.”

 

“I saw it on the way to school yesterday,” Quinn said.

 

“Oh!” Helen said.

 

“We can't go!” Jake said.

 

“I miss those songs!” Quinn said.

 

“Sure,” Helen said. “We'll go tomorrow.”

 

 

September 19, 1997

Oakwood, Lawndale County

It was well into the afternoon when Lillian got off the bus at the Oakwood Coach Station, which was next to the Railway station. 'Another 5 miles to Lawndale,' she thought. It would be another hour until the evening train to Lawndale would leave. 'I suppose I could use the time to find out more about Lawndale,' she thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment