Tuesday 5 October 2021

Mysteries of Lawndale - Night of the Coffee House - Part 3

 Night of the Coffee House Part 3

It was quarter past six when the group entered Viv’s videos, and business was raging. There was a large number of customers in the store.

“This is going to be difficult,” Daria said.

 

“We could wait until tomorrow before school,” Quinn suggested.

 

“That might be best,” Daria decided.

 

“OK,” Stacy said.

 

“We’ll meet again after school,” Daria directed.

 

Everyone nodded.

 

 

Tuesday, October 14th 1997

Daria and Quinn arrived at Viv’s Videos at 7:45. “How may I help you?” the clerk asked.

 

“You know of the break-in two nights ago?” Daria asked.

 

“Of course,” the clerk said, looking at Daria suspiciously.

 

“We’re investigating the incident,” Daria said.

 

“I see.”

 

Daria turned to Quinn. “We would like to know if your in-store cameras could have seen something,” Quinn said, in a flirtatious way.

 

“Right,” the male clerk said. “I’ll be right back.” He  went out the back.

 

“Good work, Quinn,” Daria said.

 

“I guess I’m joining the Mystery Club after all,” Quinn said.

 

“How did you come to this decision?” Daria asked.

 

“We’re getting into the middle of everything, like we did in Highland. We’re solving crime,” Quinn answered.

 

“That’s true,” Daria conceded.

 

“So, I’ll join the club as soon as I get to school,” Quinn said. She then saw the clerk return.

 

“It’s going to take a while to check the tapes,” he said.

 

“We’ll return after school,” Daria said.

 

“Name?”

 

“Morgendorffer,” Quinn answered.

 

“Got it,” the clerk said.

 

 

“Aren’t you coming to school?” Quinn asked Daria as the sisters left the video store.

 

“I am, but I’m meeting Officer Peterson at the Court House Cafe.”

 

“Oh,” Quinn said. “Have fun!” She picked up her bike from where she had left it, and rode off towards the school.

 

 

Daria arrived at the Court House Cafe at 8:10. She saw Officer Peterson, in plainclothes and her hair loose around her shoulders, at the counter. “So, you’re not on duty today?” Daria asked as she approached.

 

“Not until after lunch,” Xanthe answered.

 

“I see,” Daria said.

 

“But don’t you have to get to school?”

 

“Not until nine,” Daria answered.

 

“It’s going to be close,” Xanthe pointed out.

 

“I know. I can still get there on time, if we’re quick.”

 

“Sure, Daria,” Xanthe said. “Would you like a latte?”

 

“A simple tea will do,” Daria answered.

 

“Sure,” Xanthe said.

 

 

Quinn arrived at the school shortly after 8:15. She had ridden fast, so she got there early. Fortunately she had used ample deodorant so, she was hardly sweating. She locked the bike to the bike rack (hardly occupied at that time of the morning, but she knew it would be full later) and headed towards the office.

 

“Ms. Morgendorffer?” the receptionist asked.

 

Quinn handed some paperwork over. “Another member for my sister’s club,” she said.

 

The receptionist looked over the paperwork. “It’s in order. With you, Daria, Jane Lane, Stacy Rowe, Alecia Nibblett, Corey Bateman and Charles Ruttheimer, that is seven members,” she said. “That’s three more than the Fashion Club.”

 

“Yeah, Sandi will be jealous,” Quinn said with laughter.

 

“Is that a good thing?”

 

“I’m not sure.”

 

 

While her daughters were pursuing the mystery, Helen Morgendorffer was thinking of something. It was just as well that the Mystery Club constituted an extracurricular activity, otherwise she would have talked to Daria about getting one. She may not have been as active as Quinn, but the detective work was taking up a lot of time...

 

 

Daria arrived at school just in time for homeroom. The conversation with Officer Peterson was quite informative.

 

“Sorry for the tardiness,” she said as she entered the room.

 

“Not late at all, Ms. Morgendorffer,” Claire Defoe said, as she marked Daria on the roll.

 

Daria smiled.

 

“By the way, Jane says that you’re investigating the Cybercafe break-in,” Defoe said.

 

“Yes,” Daria said.

 

“It’s good that you’re doing your thing for the community.”

 

“Those who broke in are likely to offend again if they aren’t caught.”

 

“That is true,” the art teacher said, as Daria went to her seat.

 

 

The Principal of Lawndale High, Angela Li, had taken her head Language Arts teacher’s suggestion of a fundraiser for a new coffee house to heart. As such, she had quickly organised such fundraising.

 

Quinn quickly volunteered for the fundraising.

 

 

“You’re doing what?” Daria asked as she and Quinn approached the video store that afternoon.

 

“Fundraising, for the new coffee house. I’m selling phone cards.”

 

“Well, just to be sure to take notice of what the people are like, and what they reveal about themselves,” Daria said.

 

“I know what to do, Daria,” Quinn said.

 

Daria nodded, with a smile. Quinn went up to the counter.

 

“Order for Morgendorffer?” she asked.

 

“Right here,” the clerk handed over a couple of tapes. “We have copied the recordings from Sunday night,” he said.

 

“Thanks!” Quinn said. She then handed the tapes to Daria.

 

“I’ll take them home and start watching,” Daria said.

 

“Sure,” Quinn said.

 

 

Danny Felton heard a knock at his door.

 

“Hi! I’m selling long distance phone cards,” a young teen girl said She was dressed in a stylish tracksuit and her hair was done up in two buns above and behind her ears. He could see a bike propped against his letterbox behind her.

 

“I just use a credit card,” he responded. He guessed that she came from Lawndale High. He remembered that Ms. Li was sending students on all sorts of fundraising activities.

 

“Oh, well, are you really happy with the service?”

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“I mean, are you really happy?”

 

“I don't get you. W-why shouldn't I be?”

 

“ I mean, like, are you ever, like, really looking forward to talking to someone, and then you can't hear them because of crackling and static?”

 

“Not...” Danny began, but the girl interrupted.

 

“I mean, I know that if I were your friend and you were calling me, I'd want to listen to you, not some static. I mean, you have a really nice voice. Your friend should be able to hear it.”

 

“They usually, uh...”

 

“Just pretend you're calling me.”

 

“What?”

 

“Really, just try it. My name's Quinn. What's your name?”

 

“Danny,” he answered.

 

“So, call me, Danny,” Quinn said, imitating a telephone with her hand.

 

Feeling silly, Danny imitated the gesture. “Hello? Uh, Quinn?”

 

“Danny? Is that you?”

 

“Hi! Quinn?”

 

“Danny? Is that you?”

 

“Hi! Quinn?”

 

“Speak up, Danny, I can't hear you.”

 

“Hi! Quinn? It's me, Danny.”

 

“I've been thinking about you all day. The way your hair falls over your eyes when you laugh. I can't get it out of my head.”

 

“Really?”

 

“You gotta speak up, Danny. Listen, do you want to come over tonight? My folks went away for the whole weekend.”

 

“Yeah! I mean, um, s-sure, Quinn.”

 

“Oh, that's okay, Danny, I understand. I'll see if Pete wants to come over.”

 

“But I said...”

 

“Bye!”

 

“Wait!” Danny said.

 

“Click!”

 

“Click. See what can happen with bad long distance service, Danny?”

 

“Whose Pete?” Danny asked.

 

“Not important,” Quinn said. “So you want a phone card?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Cool!”

 

 

After Quinn had left, Danny looked at the sheet that she had given him alongside the phone card...

 

Think Lawndale is filled with mystery?

 

You’re not alone.

 

Would you like a mystery investigated?

Call Daria: 555-1982

No comments:

Post a Comment