Tuesday 9 January 2024

9th January 2024 Writings

 9th

 

Excerpt from: Spider Quinn

“Yes. I find it interesting,” Anna said. “It seems I like all those old stories.”

 

“I admit I haven’t really read them,” Quinn said. “Like, Leprechauns look so, creepy, ugh!” She added with a shudder.

 

“Well, there’s more to it than Leprechauns,” Anna said.

 

“Of course,” Quinn added.

 

“I suppose that I have been interested since I saw Darby O’Gill and the Little People when I was young.”

 

“Is that a movie? I haven’t seen it.”

 

“It’s an old Disney movie,” Anna explained. “It has Sean Connery in it. I think it was before he was Bond, but I’m not sure.”

 

“OK,” Quinn said.

 

It was at that moment that Ben came back. “Oh! That Connery film again, Anna?”

 

“You’ve seen it?” Quinn asked.

 

“Too many times,” Ben groaned.

 

“I see,” Quinn said.

 

“But it is worth seeing once,” he added.

 

“I’ll consider it,” Quinn said. ‘In between everything else. School, being SpiderGirl, watching Anime with Stacy, dates, now this mentoring thing…’ She shook her head and saw Gerald approaching.

 

 

Gerald sat and saw that Ben and Anna were already familiar with each other. ‘Of course they are. I can see that they’re going to be a clique and Quinn’s going to focus on them.’ He knew that such things happened all the time.

 

 

“Now, Anna started talking earlier about Irish folklore,” Quinn said.

 

“Not just Irish,” Ben said.

 

“Oh?” Gerald said in an annoyed tone.

 

“Celtic stuff in general,” Anna said.

 

“So, Welsh and Scottish too?” Quinn asked.

 

“And Galicia in Spain and Brittany in France,” Anna added.

 

 

As Anna  continued to tell of how she became interested in Celtic folklore, Gerald felt uneasy. He was sure that he didn’t want to open himself up to three others he barely knew.

 

 

Anna finished.

 

“That’s good, Anna,” Quinn said. She turned to Ben. “Ben. I know you are hypochondriac, but that’s not a fair description.”

 

“It isn’t. But It has lead me to be interested in medical related topics,” Ben said.

 

“That’s certainly true,” Anna said with slight laugh.”

 

“So, forensic medicine?” Quinn asked with slight interest.

 

“Yes. The sciences of investigating the causes of trauma or death,” Ben explained.

 

“I knew it was something like that,” Quinn said. “Before my father died, he had had a heart attack and I had looked at medical texts during that period.”

 

“Oh!” Anna said.

 

“I’ll say something more about that. That I’m still deep in grief,” Quinn added.

 

Gerald had had enough. If Quinn was going to pour her heart out. “I’m going…”

Words: 421

 

 

Total: 321


No comments:

Post a Comment