Saturday 27 January 2024

27th January 2024 Writings

 27th

 

Excerpt from: Spider Quinn

“Apology accepted.”

 

“But I’m not up for talking about my home town.”

 

“Usually, I wouldn’t talk of that town in Texas, either,” Quinn said.

 

“Usually?”

 

“Like, I’m worried Lawndale will become like it, or worse.”

 

“How bad was it?” Gerald asked.

 

Quinn began to tell of Highland, including of the two weirdos Daria sometimes hung out with.

 

 

Suddenly part of a tree a tree fell nearby.

 

“What was that?” Gerald asked.

 

“It was just a weakened branch,” Sanderson said. “But we can start here.”

 

 

Sanderson handed out pages on how to identify various plants and animals. “So, we’ll work carefully along the trail, back to the bus and look out for each species. Don’t go too far.”

 

 

The next half hour was spent looking at various plants and animals in the area. But then something happened.

 

 

Quinn and Sanderson turned as the heard Ben cry out. They ran to him. “What was it?” Sanderson asked.

 

“It was a snake!” Anna exclaimed.

 

“Did you see it?” Sanderson asked.

 

“It was a copperhead,” Anna said.

 

“Right,” Sanderson said. “Where’s the bite?”

 

“On his ancle,” Anna said.

 

“Help!” Ben called out.

 

 

Sanderson whipped out the first aid kit. “Take off your shoe first. Then I can wrap the bandage around your leg.”

 

 

“This is one reason why I didn’t want to come,” Gerald said to Quinn.

 

“Being at home isn’t exactly safe,” Quinn responded.

 

“There haven’t been break and enters when the people are at home in the news.”

 

“No, but, stuff can still happen,” Quinn said.

 

Sanderson then came up. “I can’t leave him, as I have the duty of care. Someone has to go and call an ambulance,” she said.

 

“You don’t have a cell phone?” Quin asked.

 

“I do,” Sanderson said. “But there’s no signal.”

 

“I can do it,” Quinn responded.

 

“You shouldn’t go alone though,” Sanderson said.

 

‘If I did go it would be quicker though,’ Quinn thought. But she didn’t want to just dash off, because she wanted to stay in Ms. Li’s good books and to continue mentoring the three. “OK.”

 

“Gerald will go with you,” Sanderson said. “Anna wants to stay with him.”

 

“Of course,” Quinn said.

 

 

“This was a bad idea,” Gerald said.

 

“Just because Ben got bit by a snake doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea!” Quinn said.

 

“I get you wanted to engage me by doing something I’d like, but I’m not outgoing.”

 

“I don’t think going to the hospital would have been a good idea.”

 

“I’m sure there’s something nearby for Anna’s Celtic thing,” Gerald said.

 

“I’m not sure,” Quinn said.

 

Gerald was then silent.

 

Words: 433

No comments:

Post a Comment